Sketching up my live setup

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently I had the revelation, that I am going to play weird electronic music live. It is an idea that has been dormant for years, but now it will happen.
I used to (10 years ago) have an absolutely huge analogue setup controlled by a Genoqs Octopus, but to take that all gear out of the studio was totally not going to happen.
Since then, only good things have happened gear-wise, but it is also a very good thing, that I now am starting from scratch with putting together a portable live setup.
Basic idea is, that one split of the linny will go to NF-1m, and the other split to a small modular system via Beatstep Pro. The latter also controlling a modular drum sound module. And central to the whole thing is the DLD module from 4MS, which is basicly the module I always wished for, back in my modular days. In short, it is a cv-controlled looper, that will sync to incoming clock.
Will keep you posted as I get the stuff together. First batch arriving tomorrow.
screenshot.png
The midi splitter will be to make a divide between Ch 1-8 and Ch 9-16. Right now I can do that using an old midi interface hooked up to my iPhone, but as soon as the Blokas Midihub is released, that will be perfect for this setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keep us informed! I love reading about stuff like this. :D
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

That shuttle system is it the Endorphin.es one?
😲
And let me know when you are ready to perform. We are not that far.

tiantong wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:14 pm That shuttle system is it the Endorphin.es one?
😲
And let me know when you are ready to perform. We are not that far.
Indeed it is. Paired with their Blck-Noir drum module. :party:
Not far? Where about may you be?

And a side note about laptops/iPads: I had thought that I would rely on some IOS synths, and that is an idea that easily can be concieved from a sofa. But playing "for real" in a rehersal room with a friend last week, totally made me ditch that idea.
1. It absolutely does not work for me, to be turning a knob on a touchscreen, in the context of live performance. This can off course be avoided by using a midi controller, but then there is...
2. As lovely and promising the whole IOS environment is, in regards to professional sound application, it is still a toddler. Or perhaps a 6-year old. I just find that there is too many yesterday-this-worked-but-now-it-doesn't's and this-is-supposed-to-work-with-this-app-but-it-just-freezes's. I have reached my limit for hours spent with an iPad in great hope, only to find myself in a cul-du-sac.
3. Laptops are powerful and mature in their game, but do I enjoy ANYBODY performing behind a laptop? No. Not at all. If a person is repatching a modular during performance, it is all good with me. If same person was repatching a virtual modular behind a laptop screen, I would forever be wondering, if he was trying to identify all squares with pictures of traffic lights in order to prove that he was not a robot.

So hardware it is for my live setup. In my sofa though, I am all for laptops and iPad. :-D
Last edited by LarsDaniel on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted double post. Can I not delete completely??

LarsDaniel wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:43 pm And a side note about laptops/iPads: I had thought that I would rely on some IOS synths, and that is an idea that easily can be concieved from a sofa. But playing "for real" in a rehersal room with a friend last week, totally made me ditch that idea.
1. It absolutely does not work for me, to be turning a knob on a touchscreen, in the context of live performance. This can off course be avoided by using a midi controller, but then there is...
2. As lovely and promising the whole IOS environment is, in regards to professional sound application, it is still a toddler. Or perhaps a 6-year old. I just find that there is too many yesterday-this-worked-but-now-it-doesn't's and this-is-supposed-to-work-with-this-app-but-it-just-freezes's. I have reached my limit for hours spent with an iPad in great hope, only to find myself in a cul-du-sac.
3. Laptops are powerful and mature in their game, but do I enjoy ANYBODY performing behind a laptop? No. Not at all. If a person is repatching a modular during performance, it is all good with me. If same person was repatching a virtual modular behind a laptop screen, I would forever be wondering, if he was trying to identify all squares with pictures of traffic lights in order to prove that he was not a robot.

So hardware it is for my live setup. In my sofa though, I am all for laptops and iPad. :-D
My first iPad mini was a glitch machine, even with one synth. Too many times I've fallen for a synth that has later been abandoned or there is an iOS update that put your sounds to sleep. I use it for sequencing, trying things, get inspiration, do music in the sofa... last time I got a sequence in 9/16 on the Hirajoshi scale. Amazing! I would have never came up with that on my own but now I'm learning to play on my Linnstrument tuned up in major thirds. (As an aside, I couldn't record it in Cubasis because it won't let me set that time signature so I ended up doing in triplets in 3/4 which is not the same but almost there).

I've dreamed too much with hardware synths for the Linnstrument. Endorphines is in the category of wet dreams but at my level (headphones hobbyist) I just can't justify it.

Jeg bor vest på, for resten. Meget vest på.

I don't quite get what you need the MIDI-splitter for?
Can't you set the receiving devices to just respond to the channels they need?
(Sorry if this is bad english, I don't now)
And what is this MIDI-arrow going from the K-Mix to the LinnStrument for?

best

dr_loop wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:08 am I don't quite get what you need the MIDI-splitter for?
Can't you set the receiving devices to just respond to the channels they need?
(Sorry if this is bad english, I don't now)
And what is this MIDI-arrow going from the K-Mix to the LinnStrument for?

best
The thing is: The NF-1m need to be in omni mode to play MPE. It would be nice if it could limit the number of receiving channels, but no. And I want to be able to input notes to Beatstep from the Linny, so to be able to do that, with out those notes going to NF-1m, I need to seperate channels. I will be running the app Midi Tools for that (with an old midi interface hooked to iPad).

K-mix is also a midi controller, and I want to be able to use its faders for NF-1m. So midi goes through the linny and ends up at the NF-1m.

You can limit the MPE channels on the nf1m can't you? Under the MPE setting.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I thought that too

BobDog wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:16 pm You can limit the MPE channels on the nf1m can't you? Under the MPE setting.
Yup, absolutely. :) I got the NF-1m today, and found that the info I had was not up to date. So I do not need a device to split channels afterall.

Good news :)
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”