Do you have problems with Aalto (and Kaivo) and MPE pitch bend?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just to be clear, I have contacted Madrona Labs but I wanted to know if any of you are having the same issues as I have or if it is in my head :O

As a example, slide from C to G, then play G a few times. It is like the voices (max 4 in Aalto) just go crazy and jump in every pitch they can. Slides just don't sound good in Aalto, notes played after a slide sound even worse.

As it is, I can't use Madrona Labs synths in MPE mode (the first VST I have ever bought because they were MPE!!)

If you have Aalto and/or Kaivo, have you experienced something weird while playing with the Linnstrument in MPE mode?

I haven't had these issues with any other VST, which why I suppose it is Madrona Labs problem. I'm in an updated Mac mini with the VST's last versions, testing in Logic Pro and Bitwig Studio 3.

Aalto works fine for me. Here's a video of me playing 3-part pitch slides with Aalto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roKfNfr ... ex=17&t=0s

Maybe you're sending on different per-note channels than Aalto is expecting? Or maybe you're using long releases, in which case it might be better to turn on "Reset on Release" as explained in the Panel Settings page, Per-Split Settings tab?

Reset on Release doesn't help.
I don't know if I am sending on different per-note channels than Aalto is expecting. How can I know this?
I have tried, in MPE mode with common channel 1, then 4, then 15, and even 1 channel for the voices. Still jumping notes.

Funny, I would expect Aalto to limit itself to 4 voices but I have just recorded a clip in Bitwig with 10 sustained notes (MPE and non MPE mode).

In the last months I've been busy with the iPad but I can't recall having these issues with Aalto when I first purchased it.
And yes, Roger, I've seen that video. I bought Aalto after purchasing the Linnstrument :) Such a nice sounding instrument

I don’t believe Aalto uses an MPE common (main) channel, so you only need to select the per-note channels. I’m out of town now but you should be able to learn in the Aalto documentation how to assign the per-note channels. If you monitor the MIDI messages, you should be able to see which channel is not responding correctly, which will narrow down the problem.

Hmm, I think I've tried every possible combination of MPE/normal Midi mode, common channels and no common channels (I couldn't find that information in the documentation either).

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

If you use MIDI Monitor, you can see what's arriving at your DAW and leaving it, and also see what's arriving at Aalto. That will help you trace down the problem. I'd focus on Logic Pro at first because it passes all MIDI data to the plug-in without any alteration. Also, you mentioned using the VST version of Aalto. Maybe try the AU version? I'm on mac and I always use AU and never VST.

There is something wrong with the recent updates of Kaivo and Aalto here as well, they are all over the place.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I have emailed Randy as well...

Thanks again, Roger. I’ve tried also in Logic and AU.

I don’t have a Midi monitor and am not planning to have one. The Linnstrument, Bitwig, Aalto are for playing music and have no time, energy or skills to go debugging. There’s enough to learn without it!

If I find a problem I will report as well as I can so the developers are aware of it. Aalto fixed will make me happy. I just love the sound of that thing.

Bobdog, at least it is not just me. I’ve noticed other things too (the sequencer, cc 74) but haven’t tested more as the issue with pitch bend was driving me nuts. I hope Randy finds a solution.

Ok, Randy got back to me he is looking into this ASAP.

He is a good guy and will get it sorted, I will report progress here...

Nice to hear, BobDog. I'm also in contact with him in his forum.
Sad as I am to hear there are problems with Aalto, it's also a relief to see it wasn't just me and my ignorance :roll:

tiantong wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:59 pm I don’t have a Midi monitor and am not planning to have one. The Linnstrument, Bitwig, Aalto are for playing music and have no time, energy or skills to go debugging. There’s enough to learn without it!
Not "a MIDI monitor" as in a hardware device or anything like that. MIDI Monitor is a free program from Snoize that is brilliant for hunting down problems on macOS MIDI setups. You can get it here:

https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Every Mac-based muso should have it for quick troubleshooting, it's brilliant.

( We will leave the concept of "I can't debug, I just want to play" for another thread :D )
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I will have a look at it.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”