How to set up ch 1-8 and 9-16 in Mainstage?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry I didn't realise Rimwolf had posted the same idea, should read all posts!

It works fine here Roger, both tracks do still have to be record enabled in Logic.

What synth plugin are you testing with?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Here is another version that allows you to remap the channels to make them start from 1, now we have start channel and channel count:
Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 07.07.39.png
ChannelRange.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi BobDog and Rimwolf,
I'm sorry. I completely forgot that this problem had been solved a few years ago, and my Recommended Sounds page already contains a solution, including a Scripter channel filter, for getting two MPE sounds in Logic.
However, I still don't have a solution for playing two MPE sounds in MainStage. If anyone knows how to do it, please let me know.

Does MainStage not have Scripter then?

MainStage has Scripter but I can't figure out how to select 2 tracks at the same time. It appears they prefer implementing split keyboard as a single track with two sounds, one playing pitches below the split point and the other playing pitches above the split point. Of course this does not work with LinnStrument because of the overlapping pitches in splits.

Ah ok.

I have been meaning to get MainStage to do some testing with, I might grab it and see if I can get it going...

I use Mainstage, with a script like the one I posted. In a single Mainstage patch, I have two channel strips, one with the script set for channels 1--8 (base 2, min 2, max 8 in my script) and the other 9--16 (base 16, min 9, max 15), with LS L&R configured accordingly. Each strip has a Software Instrument with Input from the LS. My split patches use Bazille in both strips, but I did change one of them to an expressive ES2 patch (MIDI Mono Mode On with base channel) and that worked fine. With the scripts disabled (MIDI FX "power" button off), both strips sound for all notes.

Thanks, Rimwolf. That’s a little more cumbersome than selecting two tracks (patches?) at once but it’s fine.

One annoyance I have with this is that Mainstage seems to consider CC7 a global across all the channels with the same source -- when I move either Volume slider on the LS, it affects the volume faders in both channels.

I did just discover that if you select two+ patches, there's a menu item in the Patch List "New patch from selected patches", which sets a patch with channels for all the selected patches.

Good tip!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”