How to set up ch 1-8 and 9-16 in Mainstage?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Mainstage, I want to set up a sound for each of my LinnStrument splits. But as far as I can see, there is only the option (when you set up a keyboard) for All channels OR a selected channel. But I want one input to recieve ch 1-8 and another input to recieve ch 9-16.
Then I thought I could fix it by setting the input to All, and then in the channel strip, set a midi filter in the insert bus, but there is not a filter function that does that. (One could make a script, but that is not my force.)

So, how does one do it?

Thanks!

I don’t know, Lars. I only know how to do keyboard splits in Logic, which is detailed on the Recommended Sounds page. But if anyone does know how to do this in MainStage, I’ll be interested in the information.

I did it! :-D

On Mac, get a little app called MidiPipe. Here you make two so-called Pipes. A pipe is like a virtual midi device, that will show up in Mainstage (and in your DAW etc.).
Each pipe needs to have an input, a channel filter and an output.
Set input for both to Linnstrument.
Set Channel filter to 1-8 and 9-16.
For the first midi output, you set it to the default midipipe output, but rename it to "LS 1-8".
For the next midi output, select Edit Virtual Outputs, and create a new output and rename it to "LS 9-16".

Now in Mainstage, you make a two keyboard setup, and for each of them, you set them to ch 1-16, but but midi input, you select either of the new midipipes.

Here is how the 1-8 midipipe looks, with the Channel Filter selected.
screenshot.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Actually, I just realized, that you can save the MidiPipe file, so here is my file. I suppose you can just load that file into MidiPipe and be good to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And BTW: Holy crap, Mainstage is one hell of a nut to crack. It is litterally one head scratching wtf-moment after another. But apparently it is THE thing to use for playing live with a mac. Has anybody stumbled on some good sources for info/tips/tutorials?

How do you make a two-keyboard setup in MainStage? My impression was that the only way to achieve split keyboard in MainStage was to devide the incoming keyboard by pitch, which of course doesn’t work for LinnStrument because of the overlapping pitch ranges.

It works, yes. But it seems that Mainstage is made for people who prepare everything in advance, and then stick to that. Fine for a Broadway show or church or whatever, but I think I am done with Mainstage.
You can make a multi keyboard setup, but it seems you have to keep everything in one patch. So if you want to change the sound of one keyboard, you have to make a new patch that does that. Hard to explain, but it just seems I N C R E D I B L Y un-intuitive and clumsy. The Sculpture intrument seems awesome, but no, I can´t spend another day with this.

Yep, I know that sentiment well.

In my opinion, all of Apple's proprietary "music" software is made by dummies, for dummies. Apple spends so much time trying to pigeonhole your workflow, it's insufferable for anyone with any real know-how or ideas of their own. Not spending another day wasted on Mainstage is absolutely the right thing to do.

Run far, run fast... And know that you're not alone (wink).

Cheers!

I use a short Scripter script -- it's JSON code -- inserted in the MIDI FX slot.
In its UI you specify a "mainChan", a "minChan", and a "maxChan", and it only allows through MIDI events on mainChan or in the minChan to max Chan range. So I have on strip in 1--8 and another with 9--16.
The script is attached in a ZIP file.
Screen shot (it's not nearly so big on my screen):
Channel filter screen shot.png

Regarding the somewhat confusing workflow of MainStage, I think the issue is that it is really Logic without the sequencer, masquerading as a live play host, and maintaining channel strip compatibility with Logic. It actually works well if you understand it in that context, but it can be confusing to do so. However, it’s pretty amazing to have all the synths and effects of Logic for $30.

Yes, it is an huge bunch of sounds you get. But if you set up your LinnStrument with a split (e.g. as two keyboards), let me know if you think it is easy to work with. I may not have grasped the concept.

But I feel like music software falls in two main categories with me: Stuff that does things in a way, that is in line with how my brain works (Bitwig is a stellar example of software that works "my way".) OR software that might have a good feature set, but you have to fight it every step of the way. A bit like that wife you divorced and would rather forget all about.
Even if I have only spent one (long) day with Mainstage, it definitely feels like it goes in the second category. Another example of software that is in that group is the huge vst instrument Falcon. Very flexible and deep and is MPE. But my god, I am not in tune with it.

Pretty sure that MainStage has the Scripter Midi Plugin, the following is from Logic but should work in MainStage.

I have included A zip with two files, add them to: ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-in Settings/Scripter.

Choose all channels for track and add Scripter midi FX plugin, you should see the preset "ChannelRange", select that and set start and end channels.

Screenshot 2019-12-09 at 20.22.05.png

Here is the zip:
ChannelRange.zip
And the script is:

Code: Select all

var CHANNEL_MIN = 1;
var CHANNEL_MAX = 1;

function HandleMIDI(event) {
		if ((event.channel >= CHANNEL_MIN) && (event.channel <= CHANNEL_MAX)) {
				event.send();
		}
}

function ParameterChanged (param, value) {
		if (param === 0) {
				CHANNEL_MIN = value;
				MIDI.allNotesOff();
		}
	else
		if (param === 1) {
				CHANNEL_MAX = value;
				MIDI.allNotesOff();
		}
}

var PluginParameters = [
{
		name:"Start Channel", 
		type:"linear", 
		minValue:1, 
		maxValue:16, 
		numberOfSteps:15, 
		defaultValue:1
},
{
		name:"End Channel", 
		type:"linear", 
		minValue:1, 
		maxValue:16, 
		numberOfSteps:15, 
		defaultValue:1
},
];

Bitwig, against the constitution.

Hi Rimwolf and BobDog,
Unfortunately, I was unable to get either of your scripts to permit me to run two MPE splits in Logic or MainStage.
In Logic, my trick in past that permitted me to run one MPE split and one One Channel split was to select one MPE track then also select "R" on a second one-channel track. I tried using your scripts to restrict channels on both of these tracks, but it merely blocked all MIDI.
Are you able to achieve it there? To play two MPE splits on LinnStrument and hear two simultaneous MPE sounds from Logic or MainStage?

Return to “Roger Linn Design”