LinnStrument, a modification project.

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently realised, that when playing the linny, I have two rows that I play far more frequently than the other six. I found the reason to be, that my wrist (or rather the "lowest" part of the palm) rests comfortably on the box just below the playing surface, when my fingers are on row 5 and 6, with 4 and 7 still within reach without moving my hand.
But why rest my hand? Am I lazy? The answer to that is, that having your hand anchored at your wrist, gives a completely different "security" in your playing. Like a guitarist or violinist always has the thumb on the back of the neck, having your wrist/low palm as an anchor for your playing, facilitates fast AND precise changes of finger positions, eg going from one row to another.
Ok, so realizing this, I was like, why don´t I have a palm rest the extends further? It would not detract anything (except making the linny slightly bigger) but the ergonomical benefit would be huge, at least in regards to how I play the instrument.
So that began brewing in my mind.
Meanwhile, there was another minor thing that popped up: When anchored at the wrist, I can just reach row 8 making the width quite perfect. However, I would get the occational involuntary low row note, because my palm gently would brush over row 1. And then I thought: What if the "frame" was raised 2 or 3 millimeters? That would totally take care of the problem. Would it introduce any now problems? I tested a raised frame, and found it to work perfectly.

So now I had two things that would make sense to find a solution for.

My first idea was to make a wider wood side, with a 3mm tall lip extending in over the frame. Problem: It would take a carpenter to do, and thus be a bit expensive. (I did make a plan, and asked for a price.)
So I decided to make a DYI solution: A piece of wood added to the side, and covering it with leather, making the hand rest a bit higher. I was not quite sure how to solve the problem, that the metal top needed to be reachable, but then I realised, that magnets can stick to the top. So: Stick magnet plate to back of leather, and the new top will stick to the old metal top.
Oh, and the leather was going to solve a third thing: I like to play the linny lying in my sofa, but putting the cold metal case on my thighs is not the most comfy thing to do. So leather all around would make linny nice and cuddly.

I then bought a roll of magnetic tape (1.5mm thick), some very nice soft but firm leather (1mm), found a perfect piece of wood in the street, some double sided tape and some glue. I needed three longer screws for mounting the wood, but I had those.

Then this happened: (And yes, feel free to call me crazy. I will wear it as a badge of honour.)

On this first pic, the top plate is upside down. I have had it for some time like that, but not anymore.
IMG_4078.jpg
Wood board screwed to metal box, magnets fitted in place.
IMG_4082.jpg
IMG_4084.jpg
IMG_4087.jpg
IMG_4088.jpg
IMG_4089.jpg

And the magnetic closure of the top works surprisingly well. Quite proud of that solution actually. :D Oh, and not least, it is very easy to make a complete roll-back to original version. The only thing I will have to deal with, is removing some glue from the back side, but I can live with that.
IMG_4090.jpg
IMG_4091.jpg
I am very happy with how well this project turned out. Here are the Pros:
1. All rows now have equal hand rest. This point stands above all.
2. Accidental notes on low row is history, as "frame" is now raised 2.5mm.
3. Cosy feeling of leather all around. Good thing in a cold country.
4. Pleasing aesthetics. Off course this is a purely personal thing, but to me the difference is huge and an important one.
5. This is an unexpected bonus: Sitting on a chair playing with the Linnstrument on my lap, did not feel right to me before. When I tried it after the mod, I was like, WOW, this really feels good now!

Cons:
1. Does not fit in original gig-bag.
2. No immidate access to all the writing on the top plate. Now it takes a few seconds to lift the top. (Can be partially lifted to take a peek.) Anyway, I don´t use sequencer nor arpegiator, and I know the rest pretty much by heart.
3. Slight increase in weight.
These cons are to me far out-weighed by the pros. In fact the only one that matters to me is the gig-bag, but I will find a solution for that, should the need arise.

Cheers!

(And off course, all the usual disclaimers: Do not do this to you instrument. This modification is NOT vegan. If you screw up anything because of this, I can not be blamed, bla bla bla bla.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Very cool! I play my LinnStrument ("linny", heh :D ) tilted upward by 45º in front of me on a copy shelf (remember those?) below my monitor and above my keyboard and trackball, so resting my wrist on it isn't an easy option, but I'm going to keep this in mind in case I do any horizontal playing; the core idea of a physical anchor for the hand via the wrist or palm is a very important one, I think.
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Very intriguing idea :) (which made me think...what do pianists do to 'anchor' themselves? I remember being told off for not having my wrists up when I had a few lessons many many years ago !)

Really nice! I wouldn't touch a screw in my Linnstrument however.
Besides, I really like all those legends. And the logo!

I play with hands "suspended", not resting anywhere. It is ok as long as my elbows are max 90 degrees. I haven't had any issues with that.

mijiti wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:20 pm Very intriguing idea :) (which made me think...what do pianists do to 'anchor' themselves? I remember being told off for not having my wrists up when I had a few lessons many many years ago !)
You don’t have any need when playing piano. When you press a key, you are “locked in”, - you know exactly where you are, and your fingers know where the other keys are. It is a very physical thing, and because of the peculiar non-isomorphic nature of a piano keyboard, it is very easy to feel your position at all times. Also, the keys are big, and only go “up” and “down”. On stringed instruments (and LS) you go up, down AND across, which is quite a different ballgame.

tiantong wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:53 pm I play with hands "suspended", not resting anywhere. It is ok as long as my elbows are max 90 degrees. I haven't had any issues with that.
And there is certainly no right way to play.

But if I can stir up a discussion about HOW we play Linnstrument, I think that is great. The linny is such a young one, and we are all investigating techniques in our own way. I find that quite exiting. :phones:

Return to “Roger Linn Design”