Kontakt sustain issue with multi channel instruments

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone know how to get sustain pedal to work normally in Kontakt when you create multi channel patches for the linnstrument? I"m sure it's simple, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm not sure if I understand the question, but two things come to mind...

Sustain is a function of the LinnStrument itself, so if it's not working across "multi-channel patches" (which is where I'm not entirely clear as to what you mean) it could either be that you didn't plug the footswitch in before powering the LinnStrument on (which is necessary for the pedal polarity to be determined and set correctly); or you haven't turned on the "Both Splits" function in the Global Settings.

From the manual:
BOTH SPLITS
Because the foot switch assignments are global settings, there is a single assignment that applies to whichever split is selected, left or right. And if the Split button is on (split keyboard play), then the foot switch only affects the Selected Split. (The Selected Split is the split selected in the Per-Split Settings screen, and is also indicated by the color of the Split button.) For example, if Split is on and the Left Split is the Selected Split, the sustain pedal will only sustain notes on the Left Split.

However, if BOTH SPLITS is on, then when the Split button is on (split keyboard play), the foot switch will affect both splits. For example, if Split is on, the sustain pedal will sustain notes on both the Left and Right Splits.
Admittedly, I'm shooting in the dark here, so my apologies if I'm just not getting what you're asking.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. It's actually an issue in Kontakt. You need to make "multi racks" in Kontakt to enable "mpe" functionality, but when I do that I lose the sustain (I have it when I am playing more simple kontakt instruments).

I actually did encounter that issue with not having "both splits" turned on, but this isn't that. It's a Kontakt thing, but god knows, I might be the only one using kontakt 'round these parts :)

thanks again though!

I see, ya, I don't have any experience with Kontakt myself... Sorry, Reckon.

Cheers!

The reason I guess is that the LS is probably sending out sustain on channel 1, the global MPE channel. This is because you have a global channel set.

So go to PER-SPLIT Settings and select VIEW->Main chan (top row 2nd from left), I am guessing you will see midi channel 1 is lit up so select it to turn it off, then choose PerNoteChn and enable channel 1 there if your multi is using channel 1.

Does this help.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

That’s my guess. BobDog beat me to it.

Reckon— this will cause sustain pedal to be sent on all per-note channels redundantly, which is needed because Kontakt is not MPE but rather only multi-timbral.

Thanks, BobDog.

Yeah, I had already done that based on manual, but it turned out I had forgotten to put the "to" setting in bitwig to "all" which is something I had done a million times but somehow forgot to do with the track I'm working on. Thanks for the responses! All is good!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”