Equator vs Strobe 2?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you had to pick just one, which would you go with? Roli Equator or Fxpansion Strobe 2?

I'm looking to buy some mpe sound generating software, and I've narrowed it down to these two. I've of course downloaded the demo for Strobe 2, and it's great. Sadly I'm not seeing a demo download for the equator, but it sounds amazing in all the videos I've watched, and I love that you can create new instruments from samples (something strobe 2 doesn't offer).

Any advice before I make a purchase? Thanks!

I don’t have Strobe but I like Equator a lot. It’s pretty straightforward, sounds amazing and plays well with the Linnstrument.

It’s not easy to add your own samples but it should be possible. What I like the most is the visual feedback. Good training for your fingers.

From FXpansion I would recommend Cypher2, which is great but requieres more time.

Equator.
To decide between Equator and Cypher 2 would be harder... Equator is an underrated synth, you can load sfz samples and thus its more universal. The user interface is also more straight forward, especially if you want to adapt presets, which are designed for the Seaboard, to the LinnStrument...

But there is some, frankly, dumb shit in Equator. Say, you want to route CC07 to volume. Should be straight forward, right? Not in Equator. Users have had to invent a workaround, which is to insert a dummy distortion (with distortion set to zero) and *then* you can automate its volume.

Cypher2 is absolutely awesome, but there is stuff there, that is actually broken, and still needs a fix. (Modulation system).
Also it is specialized i "analog", so Equator is more of an all-rounder.

But rejoyce that day, that Zebra 3 sees the light of day. If it has MPE, as expected, it will be a no-brainer to recommend.

But to choose between Cypher2 and Equator? I will take cypher2 any day. (But I am a synth-nerd kind of guy.)

Thanks for the feedback. Great stuff.

Everyone is taking about Cypher instead of Strobe, so I have to assume you prefer the former. Why is Cypher better?

I have the demos of both installed. I'd eliminated cypher since head to head I found that I preferred the presets of strobe. There are probably twice as many presets in strobe that I would use "as is" than in cypher. So I didn't dig any deeper with cypher.

What am I missing?

I would take Equator over Strobe. I'm not crazy about Strobe's sound and Equator has a pretty great interface, meant for MPE design from the get go. Cypher is just a beast and would be harder to chose between it and Equator. Cypher really makes use of the modulation system and has a lot of audio rate modulation going on so all kinds of sounds are possible.

Personally I have Cypher and Equator, not Strobe. So I would take either Cypher or Equator over Strobe.

Re Cypher 2 vs Strobe 2: there's a good comparison post at ROLI support. Basically they're both analog-modeling subtractive synths at heart, but Cypher has a lot more, including FM, waveshaping, along with more of things they have in common, like envelopes, LFOs, ramps, sequencers ...

https://support.roli.com/support/discus ... 6000005302

tiantong wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:53 am
It’s not easy to add your own samples but it should be possible.
Equator uses the SFZ format and user SFZ files can be dropped into the user samples folder, restart Equator, and they will be available for use as per usual.

The SFZ format is relatively simple, but time consuming to create. It's a text file with opcodes that tell each sample what root key to play, the zone, etc. Just the basic opcodes are needed. If anyone is interested, I can provide an example later. Alternatively, there are apps which auto-convert existing (non-copyright) sample files (like Chicken Systems Translator) or some WinOS based apps like the Mildon 'SFZd' (although, I haven't used this so can not attest as to its effectiveness).
http://mildon.me/sfzdesigner
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

StyleBuck wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:59 pm Why is Cypher better?
If I may...the combination of all the synthesis tools, including some extensive set of COMB filters, can push Cypher2 well beyond the original analog-modelling sound, or the analog-style FM, into, what I call 'pseudo' physical-modelling. It has lost of patches that showcase this. It's basically a very deep playground for the adventurous synthesist. :)
Strobe is more about immediate results. Much more simple synth engine, originally based on vintage mono synths, although the current Strobe version goes well beyond what v1 was about. Cypher2, is a whole universe of sound onto itself, from lush vintage analogue, to cutting FM, various wave-shaped hybrids, to imitative synthesis. There are many audio demos that showcase this. :)
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:13 pm
StyleBuck wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:59 pm Why is Cypher better?
If I may...the combination of all the synthesis tools, including some extensive set of COMB filters, can push Cypher2 well beyond the original analog-modelling sound, or the analog-style FM, into, what I call 'pseudo' physical-modelling. It has lost of patches that showcase this. It's basically a very deep playground for the adventurous synthesist. :)
Strobe is more about immediate results. Much more simple synth engine, originally based on vintage mono synths, although the current Strobe version goes well beyond what v1 was about. Cypher2, is a whole universe of sound onto itself, from lush vintage analogue, to cutting FM, various wave-shaped hybrids, to imitative synthesis. There are many audio demos that showcase this. :)
Its probably mainly your wonderful 5D sounds, perfect for the LinnStrument, just needs little adaptation with the curves...

Having purchased roli hardware advertised as having equator and only getting the player and them not even supplying a demo version I would go for Strobe or Cypher myself. They both have demos see what you like.

I really like Strobe it's pretty simple, cypher is a more complex deal.
Last edited by BobDog on Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Bitwig, against the constitution.

StyleBuck wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:59 pm Thanks for the feedback. Great stuff.

Everyone is taking about Cypher instead of Strobe, so I have to assume you prefer the former. Why is Cypher better?

I have the demos of both installed. I'd eliminated cypher since head to head I found that I preferred the presets of strobe. There are probably twice as many presets in strobe that I would use "as is" than in cypher. So I didn't dig any deeper with cypher.

What am I missing?
If you like it more then go for it. Buy Cypher next year's Black Friday.
In my case it's the opposite. I like sines (cypher has) and destroying sines (cypher can do that too). Then the wind-like sounds it has... it is maybe too much for me but I'm taking it easy. Actually at the moment I'm pretty busy with Aalto and the synths in Bitwig.

Regarding samples in Equator, I reckon I'm just too lazy for that. Besides, I prefer synthesis to sampling (not that I've decided it, it's just what I tend to)

Yall have given me a lot to think about. Thanks so much!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”