A LinnStrument control panel for Bitwigs PolyGrid. (Full version of Bitwig only.)

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you are a Bitwig user also, you might find this useful.
The PolyGrid works fine with LinnStrument, right of the box, but this panel adds curves (a la Roli Equator) and smoothing (the Lag controls), plus you have the convenience of visually seing the controllers on the curves.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nice. So is the idea to start with this and build an instrument using this template? Or is it fairly easy to import these to other grid instruments? I guess you could probably copy and paste to another device. Unless there is some kind of multi-module saving and loading function to allow inserting bundles of modules at once within a grid device?

If you are building from scratch, you can just use my patch here. If you want to have the panel in an existing PolyGrid patch, you bring up my patch elsewhere and copy/paste the control panel (or parts of it). It is actually really easy.

LarsDaniel wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:48 pm If you are building from scratch, you can just use my patch here. If you want to have the panel in an existing PolyGrid patch, you bring up my patch elsewhere and copy/paste the control panel (or parts of it). It is actually really easy.
Yeah that's what I figured. Just made me think that a container module that could be saved with pre-assembled modules could be really useful for the grid, if it didn't exist already. I haven't really used the grid much at all yet.

My biggest issue with the sampler and Phase-4 though is that there is no MPE curves, which is available in the grid. So the MPE curves you've set up will be useful to get going, thanks!

My biggest issue with the sampler and Phase-4 though is that there is no MPE curves
Hey, I just realized, that you can use the modulator called Polynom as a curve. At first I was like, nah, that is way too nerdy, but then I saw, that the little curve icon is actually a curve display. As soon as you start fiddling with the numbers (drag up and down) they start to make sense, and you can relatively easily dial in the right amount of curve.
And then modulate Polynom with one of the Expressions, and then use Polynom as modulator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oh, and renaming things certainly makes things more friendly. :-D

Mange tak for all these Bitwig tips, Lars. I’m just starting with it and getting used to it. As soon as I have time I’ll fiddle around with them.

Bummer: I just realized, that the above solution for curves doesn't really work. Green modulators are polyphonic, but blue ones are monophonic. 😔

Aha! I just found that you can make the curves (Polynom) to work per voice (e.g. polyphonic) in the modulators inspector panel. So we have MPE curves now for all instruments in Bitwig it seems!
Just slightly clumsy.

And here is my new default preset with LS controls.
If one needs these in the modulation panel of ANY instrument, you just select them all and copy / paste.

Yeah I've tried that and it does work to a certain extent. The most common thing I've tried to do is to delay the pressure onset until about half way and I didn't figure out the formula for that, but admittedly didn't experiment for too long. Any ideas?

Ok! I went and played around some more and realized I can pretty much get the curve I want by using y= 0 + 0x + 0x^2 + 1x^3. And I can get a little more delay to the response by reducing the X value knob, which function as the initial value. So that's cool, it's a common thing to want the pressure not to respond in the first bit of the range, and this pretty much does it. Drawable curves would still be cool for the normal instruments but hey, that fancy stuff can be left for the grid.

Yeah, adjusting the curve takes a bit of fiddling with all parameters. But it is far better than no curves at all. :-)

Note that the above curve would pull the initial value back significantly rather than let you modulate from the existing value. For most modulation purposes (modulating relative to the current position) you'd want to get your white dot at the middle of the square.

I was doing this visually, so I did not check was the outcome would actually be. 🙈

Thanks for this Lars, this is great! I will be using it for sure.

best,
steve

Return to “Roger Linn Design”