New MPE synths...

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com

Because it responds to per note pitch bend, brightness and after touch?
Because it can receive this information from the pads within the app or a MPE controller? And can send it too?

Only that pitch is quantised to certain notes, eight, that are defined by the knobs above the pads.

It is like the Animoog scales only that you are not allowed to set chromatic.

But there are requests. Maybe the dev will listen.

It could have the potential to something bigger than the dev even imagined in his hottest dreams...
I really like the idea of voices modulating each other, especially if you can play them freely...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:40 pm It could have the potential to something bigger than the dev even imagined in his hottest dreams...
I really like the idea of voices modulating each other, especially if you can play them freely...
It sounds really good. As far as I can see it is kind of inspired in the Lyra 8.

But yes, I wish it could also do receive midi notes. Also, as I can see, pitch bend is limited to one semitone?

Well, there is another MPE synth in the make. This is for Mac/Windows by the creator of Absynt.
https://rhizomatic.xyz

He writes he is open for suggestions, so what are you waiting for?
Plasmonic combines the resonant depth of physical modeling with subtractive synthesis. Our goal is for Plasmonic to approach the depth and detail of an acoustic instrument, while making it easy to shape the sound into anything you want. Its deep modulation capability and MPE support make it very playable and expressive.
Expected release on spring 2020

The new iOS synth "Magellan Synthesizer 2" by Yonac supports MPE, sounds lovely, and is a joy to play on my Linnstrument!

The synth has a nice direct-mod control section that allows four (4) direct assignment of MPE CC74 and AT to various targets. You can also layer these as an additional 'control' for the LFO and Mod Envelope targets. This mod matrix is not nearly as flexible as, say, Pigments, but I like how quickly I can get up and running with iOS without having to wait for my desktop PC to boot up.

I did notice something a little tricky, though. When assigning Aftertouch (channel pressure) to the Amplitude mod target, it seems that the volume is always very loud, and it's difficult to achieve quiet notes. I've seen this happen with other synths (when MIDI-mapping pressure to a volume knob), and I have a theory: I think the "Amplitude" mod affects the volume in a linear way, instead of logarithmic. (The human ear response is to volume more logarithmic-ish, which I think is why most mixing consoles use logarithmic sliders, and why the dB scale is also logarithmic.) If the volume knob (or mod linkage) is producing a linear response in voltage/volume, then it won't work well with for human perception of sound loudness.

To make it work better, you first have to convert the channel pressure values to a logarithmic scale and then feed them to the synth. (I suspect that synths should be using a logarithmic control for any volume knob or slider, though it seems that many do not.) For playing Magellen 2, I'm faking this logarithmic curve using a feature of my custom Linnstrument firmware. My additional feature lets me set a custom output value for the middle of the pressure curve. (In other words, I can set Low, Medium, and High, not just Low and High, for the output values.) By setting the middle to a low value (LMH = 0,20,127 instead of the normal 0,64,127), the output starts looking more lograrithmic, and the synth's output volume responds more as expected.

My custom firmware also has been modified to (theoretically) improve sharp note attacks when pressure is mapped to volume. If anyone else uses this synth with this mapping (Direct Mod: Target=Amplitude, Ctrl=Aftertouch, Value=-100), I'm curious to know if the standard Linnstrument firmware can produce sharp attacks, or if the attacks seem dulled.

kvr@nathankopp.com wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 pm The new iOS synth "Magellan Synthesizer 2" by Yonac supports MPE, sounds lovely, and is a joy to play on my Linnstrument!
It's out? Woohoo! Time to go get it. Thanks, Nathan... and at some point I will conquer my fears and try out your firmware, as I've seen one or two people report that it's got some neat stuff in it.
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

I've added it to my site's "Recommeded Sounds" page.

This seems to be a new granular for desktop and mobile:
https://www.imaginando.pt/products/frms
A first test though reveals that MPE mode does not make a sound. I sent them a message and will report back...

Please do-- thanks.

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:41 pm This seems to be a new granular for desktop and mobile:
https://www.imaginando.pt/products/frms
A first test though reveals that MPE mode does not make a sound. I sent them a message and will report back...
I can confirm that MPE does work with this. At least on the iPad version. Great sounding synth!

The standalone is fine as well and they already have a fix for the vst...

Thanks. It's on the Recommended Sounds page.

Drambo is out. Is a monster of an app/ groove box, modular sequencer... with MPE support.
http://www.beepstreet.com/ios/drambo

tiantong wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:29 pm Drambo is out. Is a monster of an app/ groove box, modular sequencer... with MPE support.
http://www.beepstreet.com/ios/drambo
I love the BeepStreet apps, I am buying this one sight unseen. I will let you all know how it likes MPE.
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Regarding Drambo, it a drum machine / sequencer app so I don't understand how it could benefit from or even use MPE. Their web site states only "In MPE mode, the track receives events from all channels and translates them to a polyphonic MIDI signal." This doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps they are confusing OMNI mode with MPE.

Tiantong, can Drambo act as an expressive polyphonic synth for pitched notes in which each voice responds to Pitch Bend for continuous pitch, Channel Pressure for continuous loudness, and CC74 for continuous timbre modulation, and independently and polyphonically for all simultaneous touches?

Return to “Roger Linn Design”