New MPE synths...

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com

tiantong wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:47 pm I've bought the iPad version too. But for desktop, if you have Pigments 2, you have Audio Damage's Quanta, the new Continua and a bunch of extras too.
Although Pigements does seem to cover the functionality of Quanta quite well, I'm not sure you can say that it covers Continua, as the sound character of wavetable synths like this can be very different. I have Pigments and while I love the granular capabilities I am not personally a fan of the other oscillator engines at all. Continua will have it's own character and seems to sound pretty good.

I see Tal-Mod didn't make the cut on the recommended sounds page. I wonder why. It's a pretty good mpe implementation.

I just added it, although "MPE" isn't mentioned in the product manual or product page. It's also getting hard to keep up with so many synths now supporting MPE.

Under Change Log (section 1.5):
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-mod
I guess they didn't add it to the product description, which was already written. Nice big MPE button on the interface though. ;)
It's also getting hard to keep up with so many synths now supporting MPE.
No doubt, everyone seems to be adding it these days, which is pretty cool.

Hydrasynth firmware update 1.3.0 brings MPE support!

I dont think the update is available at the time of me writing this but the release notes are available and make extensive mention of MPE:

http://www.mecldata.com/download/asm/Ve ... update.pdf

This is promising.

You have my attention... :pray:

Hydrasynth has a desktop option too iirc?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:18 pm
tiantong wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:47 pm I've bought the iPad version too. But for desktop, if you have Pigments 2, you have Audio Damage's Quanta, the new Continua and a bunch of extras too.
Although Pigements does seem to cover the functionality of Quanta quite well, I'm not sure you can say that it covers Continua, as the sound character of wavetable synths like this can be very different. I have Pigments and while I love the granular capabilities I am not personally a fan of the other oscillator engines at all. Continua will have it's own character and seems to sound pretty good.
You may well be right.
I think however I’ve made a complete circle in terms of purchasing synths this past year. With circle I mean that I’ve made all the way back to Logic Pro and Alchemy.
I’ve learned a lot but I’m also a bit saturated. 2020 should be the year where I dive in what I have rather than in spending more money.

Can you explain how you dislike Pigments other synth engines?

Bugger, I’m going to have to get a hydrasynth now.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

t-IB wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 am Hydrasynth has a desktop option too iirc?
Yes, thats the version I should receive tomorrow. Can be rackmounted, doesnt have the ribbon controller, has 24 small pads with poly aftertouch - not that those will get much use by me now that it supports MPE.

Not that I have any idea when this new firmware will actually be available, although its tempting to assume that they are timing it to coincide with NAMM.

I am even more delighted to hear that someone on this board will be reporting back with one in hand.

t-IB wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 am Hydrasynth has a desktop option too iirc?
Desktop and 49 key models, if memory serves. That’s a really nice addition, though I skipped that model due to the low key count. At 61 keys, it could replace my GEM S2, but at 49... nope, and I don’t have the room for another keyboard. I could squeeze the module on my desk, but I couldn’t easily reach it so I’d be using a software editor to control it and I didn’t think it sounded particularly better than other software instruments that I already have that do MPE. (like Serum and Pigments)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I'll keep an eye on it - I've other things going to take my gear cash before I get to looking at another MPE synth but I'll definitely be interested in the longer term. The number of slots in the mod matrix is a major attraction - there's a lot going on if the sound is there.

tiantong wrote: Can you explain how you dislike Pigments other synth engines?
I don’t want to take up the space here but you can find a discussion about Pigments in the Instruments forum (the long thread that was locked). In short, though I love the granular engine, I just don’t always love the sound character of Arturias synths for some reason. Just personal taste.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”