New MPE synths...

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com

SteveElbows wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:56 am I think its the first hardware synth to have the term MPE written on the panel, but maybe I missed something that came before it in this regard.
Yes... pleasure to see which means it’s not an afterthought... also it responds to the full ‘5D’ plus there are enough modulation options to make good use of them

EssenceFM is an upcoming MPE-compatible synth I pre-ordered this week.
https://kodamo.org/

I have been using my Linnstrument with the Elektron A4, Behringer Model D, and the Yamaha TX802 (DX7 rackmount.)
The Yamaha TX802 has sixteen voices and has been great for how I choose to play the Linnstrument.

EssenceFM could be my dream synth. It blows the TX802 away as far as horsepower and programmability. It has MPE, USB, lots of modulation options and an attractive design/form factor.

I will let you know how I like it and/or post a video when it arrives in early 2020. I did not see this synth mentioned in this thread so I thought I would share.

Thanks for sharing. This is an example for a purely digital synth. Expect the filters to sound like in vsts...
This might be an ideal replacement for DX type synths...

On the OSC discussion there came up a free synth which seems at least do voice per channel:
https://t0nit0rmx.github.io/plugins/tonez

Its free, check it out. Its based on Cabbage and CSound, which is interesting. Might be something to dive into for creating plugins...

Wanted to mention something awesome about Orange Tree Samples. In the current form, their instruments that support polyphonic pitch bend are not able to trigger legato scripting for hammer-ons and offs unless the overlapping notes are on the same channel. This can work well for Linnstruments channel per row mode if your host supports that, but it gets pretty cumbersome with some hosts like Bitwig where you lose the pitch per note (micropitch) editing ability since you can't have overlapping notes of the same channel in MPE mode. So I asked Greg whether it would be possible to have a mode where the scripting worked regardless of the channel and he very quickly sent me a modified Kontakt NKI of one of my guitar products with this modification, which makes it possible to have all the legato scripting but still be able to bend notes separately and use the regular channel per note mode on mpe devices (and so you can play multiple notes on a row on linnstrument but still get legato script responses). I'm not sure what his plans are in terms of inclusion in the next updates but at least it's easy to get those modified versions from him. I think it's the only guitar library with this functionality and it sure beats having duplicate instances!

FYI, TAL-Mod now also has MPE like their other instruments. This one, like the sampler, has quite a bit more in terms of modulation possibilities than their classic emulations due to the modulation cables.

Like Synthplus81 I have also ordered the Kodamo Essence FM ... 6-Op's/Voice, up to 128 Voices/Patch, 300 voice polyphony ... and a modern interface AND MPE ... tick's loads and loads of boxes for me ...

Audio Damage just came out with their new MPE synth.
Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 17.53.29.png
We are extremely pleased to announce the release of Continua, our three-oscillator, dual-filter virtual analog polysynth. Continua is a modulation playground, with fully polyphonic LFOs and envelopes and full MPE implementation. Every knob on the UI is a mod target, and the oscillators and filters are morphing, resulting in an incredibly expressive, evolving synth unlike any you've seen before! With hundreds of presets from GlitchMachines, SonalSystem, Red Sky Lullaby, and Red Means Recording, Continua is ready to use out of the box, and waiting for your own explorations.

Continua is now available for macOS (10.11 or higher) and Windows 64-bit (8.1 or higher), in AU, AAX, VST, and VST3 formats. Coming soon for iOS/iPadOS (11 or higher), in AUv3 and Standalone/IAA formats.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I've added Continua to my Recommended Sounds page. Chris Randall is a very talented guy, so I'm sure his MPE implementation is a good one. By the way, he has a LinnStrument.

You come first in the blurb as well:
MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression)
Continua understands both "legacy" MIDI and MPE. Use your Linnstrument, Roli Seaboard, Haken Continuum, Madrona Labs Soundplane, or Sensel Morph (among others) to directly access per-note pressure, pitch bend, and modulation.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Roger_Linn wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:15 am I've added Continua to my Recommended Sounds page. Chris Randall is a very talented guy, so I'm sure his MPE implementation is a good one. By the way, he has a LinnStrument.
Yes. He’s got a nice video here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NxkgUfZAD30

Yes, I’ve seen that one. Very nice.

Roger_Linn wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:15 am I've added Continua to my Recommended Sounds page. Chris Randall is a very talented guy, so I'm sure his MPE implementation is a good one. By the way, he has a LinnStrument.
Continua has also an iOS version, should be on the iOS recommended sounds as well...
Instant buy for me, the vst I am not sure about, as I have similar oscillators in the Grid...

BobDog wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:37 am You come first in the blurb as well:
MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression)
Continua understands both "legacy" MIDI and MPE. Use your Linnstrument, Roli Seaboard, Haken Continuum, Madrona Labs Soundplane, or Sensel Morph (among others) to directly access per-note pressure, pitch bend, and modulation.
Yeps, that's nice. More often than not I only find Roli as the only brand when trying to describe MPE
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:18 pm Continua has also an iOS version, should be on the iOS recommended sounds as well...
Instant buy for me, the vst I am not sure about, as I have similar oscillators in the Grid...
I've bought the iPad version too. But for desktop, if you have Pigments 2, you have Audio Damage's Quanta, the new Continua and a bunch of extras too.

By the way, Bram Bos is coming up with a Drone/ambient synth for iPad with MPE support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ui8CJc3GK0

Scheduled for NAMM20

Return to “Roger Linn Design”