New MPE synths...

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com

Phonec 2.4 is now MPE compatible.
https://www.psychicmodulation.com/phonec.html

As now the number of synths with MPE support grow, I can imagine to make this thread sticky...

Hi TJ,
Thanks-- I've added it to the Recommended Sounds page, and I've made this topic sticky.

The title of this thread, and the fact that it was stuck to the top of the forum, got me all excited... But, no, just another VST (sigh).

Cheers!

There is a slow take-up in hardware format. Meanwhile I'm going to ask the mpe question to Per at Flame since his maander synth looks right up my street...

Tone2 Icarus v2 was just announced to include MPE functionality. It hasn't been released yet but I'm looking forward to trying this as it is the first resynthesis type vst which will have some amazing expressions possible with MPE.

I've stumbled up on Respiro just recently. Quick search check shows that nobody mentioned it here yet.
Sounds interesting. Has anybody experienced it with Linnstrument?
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/respiro-by-imoxplus

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:57 pm Phonec 2.4 is now MPE compatible.
https://www.psychicmodulation.com/phonec.html

As now the number of synths with MPE support grow, I can imagine to make this thread sticky...
Just a couple notes about this one:

EDIT: Pitch range was expanded to 48 with recent update.

Also, there isn't currently much to actually modulate with MPE expressions. You only get filter cutoff and volume. One of which can be assigned to pressure and the other to Timbre. Hopefully other targets will be assignable in the future like the regular aftertouch.

Lastly on a good note - Phonec actually works perfectly in mono mode with MPE, which is quite rare and can be very useful. Only the Roli synths (Equator, Cypher, Strobe) and the Bitwig synths do this properly of any plugins I've tried. It's kind of a long explanation (maybe I'll make a separate thread about it) but you don't get any weird jumps or conflicting messages when playng mono/legato etc. Using mono sounds with MPE expressions is much nicer since you can record to and edit per note pitch and expressions (I use Bitwig, not sure about other hosts), which is nicer than using the unconnected standard pitch bend and midi automation.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have a long-standing love/hate relationship with Tone2 synthesizers, including Icarus. They sound amazing and the guys at the company are all wonderful, but I find the user interfaces offputting and I have trouble creating anything with them aside from tweaking presets. (Personal taste.) It’s interesting that they are adding MPE to it, though: I will give that a try.

Maybe they will add it to RayBlaster… I’m not sure how I feel about that, given that I consider that synth simultaneously incomprehensible and indispensable. :-)
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

mrspiral wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:40 pm I have a long-standing love/hate relationship with Tone2 synthesizers, including Icarus. They sound amazing and the guys at the company are all wonderful, but I find the user interfaces offputting and I have trouble creating anything with them aside from tweaking presets. (Personal taste.)
That's very surprising to me because I've always thought they were very well laid out and some of the easiest synths to design sounds with. I didn't buy Icarus until just recently though because I didn't like the tabs for oscillators and filters. But with V2 they are showing all of these at the same time which I find much more useful. See the new image here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=530373

VCV Rack has now not only MPE input modules, but also a lot of fully polyphonic modules and polyphonic cables. A wonderful playground to get out of the usual subtractive premade synths mind...
Its standalone for the moment, but a VST version is in the making...
Did I mention most of it is free?

Anybody tried the new Expressive E MPE collection yet?

https://www.expressivee.com/mpe-collection

I dont have time right now, but I'm sure I will in the days ahead.

I ignored that Imaginando DRC iOS synth for its lack of MPE, but the last update seems to have implemented it! Some one mentioned it as one of his favorite synths and a short check revealed MPE support...

Hi TJ,
I visited their site and could not find a mention of MPE in the DRC documentation. Can you tell me where you saw it? And if you use it, can you tell me how well it works? If it works well, I’d like to add it to the Recommended Sounds page.

FYI - TAL U-No-LX V4 has added MPE compatibility.

Hi everybody,

MSoundFactory by Meldaproduction.
The new midi cc smoothing algorithm is incredible. Your pressure can really shape your amp envelope. (you can control, without velocity, just by pressure, your amp attack and volume without noise zipper).
I compare it to my continuum half size and the Msf response is near the Eagan matrix response. Msf could be a great Linnstrument's friend.
Plus the cc response curves for each modulations make it a real expressive instrument.
Best
YY

Return to “Roger Linn Design”