SunVox and MPE

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SunVox supports MIDI channels assignment to modules since version 1.9.3. This allows construction of MPE patches. It's little elaborate in the beginning but if you create starter templates it becomes relatively easy to create one MPE voice and then duplicate it for single MPE channels. You can even create controllers to edit all voices of your setup at once. I mostly use just ModWheel and Pressure assigned to MetaModules (single voices), velocity is sent automatically.

If you never heard of SunVox, it's a modular music studio with tracker style sequencer. Comes with wide array of modules (also user-created MetaModule synths and effects) and allows to build complex setups, apply various synthesis methods and many more. What is great for MPE is that you can apply different curves to incoming MIDI controlers. Or you convert them to audio signal, transform and then convert back to control signal.Your imagination is your only barrier. Like with real modular. Even after 10+ years of use there's always something to be discovered within SunVox. It's still actively developed and get's nice new features app. every 1,5 years and runs on most current and older platforms, incl. Raspberry Pi. Having experience with all, I think iPad gives you the most direct experience thanks to well executed multi-touch screen support. If you are more into tracker style sequencing, than something with keyboard and mouse is better for faster data input.

Here's little MPE synth demo:

Edit: Chello patch attached.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You need to apply Aftertouch and ModWheel movement to voices otherwise they will sound crappy. Depending on your MPE controller your mileage with sensitivity may vary. Voices are mapped to MIDI channels 1-8. My Linnstrument sensitivity for Y and Z axis is set to high.

For beginners, there's great Solar Lune's tutorials playlist. Highly recommended!
https://youtu.be/FJh6yiKPqE4

Are there any other MPE SunVox users here? If yes, please, share your approaches and ideas of MPE sound design etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”