Hard Case for Linnstrument

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm curious if anyone has found a hard case/flight case/travel case/road case for Linnstrument that they enjoy. What are you using?

I realize finding a case to fit a rectangle isn't terribly difficult, but I would love to find one that fits it "just right". Also, the search results for this question are pretty bad, so I'm hoping us thoroughly discussing case options will help future Linnstrument users. (Thus, all the keywords for SEO)

The soft case that comes with it is lovely, but I definitely want something stack-able and drop-able if I'm on the road with it.

I bet you could make one of those rectangular violin or viola cases fit it inside. Just cut the foam out differently... And of course there are case manufacturers, which can build any custom designed case you want...

When I was originally looking for a case supplier for LinnStrument, I found there were some rectangular gun cases available that allowed custom foam. The trouble is that once I started searching for Custom gun cases, I started getting ads for guns, which is something I didn’t want. If you have a similar concern, switch to the DuckDuckGo search engine, which doesn’t track and which I’ve used since then.

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:44 am I bet you could make one of those rectangular violin or viola cases fit it inside.
I was also thinking maybe a saxophone case might be in the right range too. All of them would be a bit thick though.
Roger_Linn wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:30 pm The trouble is that once I started searching for Custom gun cases, I started getting ads for guns, which is something I didn’t want. If you have a similar concern, switch to the DuckDuckGo search engine, which doesn’t track and which I’ve used since then.
Gun case! I wouldn't have thought of that. Actually, my friend repurposed a gun case he found at a thrift store to use as an Ableton Push case... I probably should have had that on my radar. Great tip about the trackers! I don't want gun ads either.

Well, if I use a saxophone case or a gun case, using it to house a Linnstrument is a substantial upgrade! I imagine I'll get sighs of relief either way, when I pull my Linnstrument out. ;-)

Thanks for the tips!

I was also looking at this case for the Keith McMillen K-Board:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... shell-case

The dimensions are real close to the full-size Linnstrument, maybe just slightly big. It looks real sturdy, but it's a little pricey. I think I priced out custom flight cases at less money. Also, not really wanting to rep the K-Board with that big logo. I'm sure it's a fine keyboard... but it's not my keyboard.

That KMI case is not worth $149. I know because I got one with mine, for free. It’s not horrible, but for that cost I expect something ATA rated, and that one ain’t. It would survive being dropped, possibly even being kicked off a conveyor belt, but if you were to drop something really heavy on it, I think it would flatten. (I’m not planning on finding out, sorry.)
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Probably overkill but the peli 1700 is the closest they do to linnstrument size @ 908 x 343 x 133. Massive though - I have the 1720 form my mono machine keys which isn't that much bigger.

Skb do a 49 note keyboard case too, the think tank - again it's longer/deeper than needed but maybe the extra space would be useful.

I’m switching between two Berwall cases depending on how much other gear I need to pack in along with Linnstrument. Both have egg-foams inside and thicker one even 3 layers for some flexibility. They are lightweight yet sturdy.

This one feels ‘just right’ to me.
https://www.berwall.de/shop/index.php?l ... ils&id=240

This one is better for carrying other gear (audio interface/mini mixer/small synth etc.).
https://www.berwall.de/shop/index.php?l ... ils&id=201

48cube wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:09 am This one feels ‘just right’ to me.
https://www.berwall.de/shop/index.php?l ... ils&id=240
Oooo. That one looks great. Topping my list right now. Does it hold it snug enough that it doesn't slide around in the case?

No sliding if you use all 3 foam layers that come with it ;-)

48cube wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:09 am I’m switching between two Berwall cases depending on how much other gear I need to pack in along with Linnstrument. Both have egg-foams inside and thicker one even 3 layers for some flexibility. They are lightweight yet sturdy.

This one feels ‘just right’ to me.
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.berwall.de/shop/index.php?l ... =240</span>

This one is better for carrying other gear (audio interface/mini mixer/small synth etc.).
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.berwall.de/shop/index.php?l ... =201</span>
Thanks for mentioning that site. Located in Germany to my suprise (nice for me, no import needed).

I've bought the BE 082, it's way bigger than exptected. Nonetheless it's just about big enough to fit in a full sized Linnstrument with some additional equipment (cables, strap, pedal). Also got one of those shoulder strap mods they offered, easy to install and enough to carry the full weight.

You got the SW 070 XL? Judging the size this one requires you to stack equipment on top of the Linnstrument. I was afraid this would create to much pressure on the sensor surface or leave everything in the case shaking around after removing some foam to make space.

I recently ordered a flightcase from Swanflight. I configured my order with 10mm laminate steel, birch plywood "Hexagrip" finish, 250mm storage compartment, fit-recessed label dish and loose self-adhesive label. The order confirmation email says current build times are approximately 30-35 working days on a standard build, so I will update this thread once it ships from the United Kingdom.

I have been using this Analog Cases
https://www.thomann.de/gb/analog_cases_ ... ep_pro.htm
with a Linnstrument 200 inside, a Motu M4 to one side of it,an m1 ipad resting on that, usb hub, some little foam inserts to separate and keep everything tight etc
works quite well, and also fits inside Magma rolltop bag when I want to cycle with it.
I can open it, hand over two jack leads with minimal fussing, rest it on my thighs and just play. But it's not quite perfect.

Now for the Linnstrument 128 I'm about to have a carpenter make a very cosy wooden case, with similar idea in mind, open it to flat, like one of those chess board boxes that is either box with pieces in, or when opened to 180 degrees is flattened out board, that again I can just rest on my legs (but works as well on a tabletop, on a keyboard stand or a DJ laptop stand). Going with an RME Babyface alongside the iPad, to home in one half, Linnstrument in the other half, IE the box is no wider than the Linnstrument 128. The ipad and interface are not alongside the linnstrument they are further in front away, in the other half of the box when laid flat (a la a screen of a laptop is not left or right of the keyboard of a laptop, it's further in front of you) I'm just working out what the best way of securely dividing the two halves for transporting and opening and closing. It may just be a foam layer, I've thught about super strength velcroing things inside, or adding to the construction little catches to keep things "nailed" in, haven't decided yet, but foam just seems easiest and workwellenoughable.

The LinnStrument (200) flightcase I ordered from Swanflight will be dispatched for shipment this Monday, July 10th. Once it arrives, I will allocate time and space out of my schedule to capture photos of it with and without the LinnStrument.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”