Linnstrument + TEC Breath Controller

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:40 am And some still use Ataris for their Midi stability...
I do regret getting rid of it. It was an awesome machine.
Win 11 | Linnstrument | Bitwig | MOTU Digital Performer | Kurzweil K2000R | Roland JV-1080 | Roland JV-2080 | Roland GR-50 | Doepfer Dark Energy | Xfer Serum | UVI Falcon | u-he | iZotope | Arturia | Synapse Audio

I believe I've done more videos which have included the TEC+Linnstrument combination than anyone (I've done three), so I thought I might chime in on the earlier discussion prompted by John's, albeit partially tongue in cheek, post.

As much as I am loathe to admit it, I agree that one couldn't look less "cool," at least in the rock & roll sense of the word, when using the TEC with the Linnstrument. In fact, I found watching myself on the first video I did of the combination (the one Roger linked to) to be such a heinous experience that I decided I would not show the TEC in subsequent videos simply because of how ridiculous it made me look. I am not proud of this fact, but there it is.

Nonetheless, from the perspective of playing it, and listening to the results, I find it to be a very satisfying experience. And in terms of how it might add to the possibilities of making truly expressive electronic music, it think the combination has an immense amount to offer. For instance, on the video I did called "Lonely Looping", I was most excited by the part using the TEC with Aalto. Personally, I had never been able to coax such subtlety of expression from a synth. Although I later did a video on Aalto exclusively (without using the TEC) which I think sounds decent, I personally feel that the TEC offers another layer of expression that is simply impossible to get through touch alone.

I also used the TEC/LS combination with the SWAM Sax (in the same video), and although I know many find the imitation of acoustic instruments to be de facto lame and uninteresting (a position I fully understand), I nevertheless haven't found it possible to get that level of realism in any other way. So for those out there who need or want to emulate wind instruments in the most realistic way possible, I think it is a combination that should be seriously considered.

I also agree with John in that regarding rock and roll at least, there is, and always has been, an important visual aspect. In that sense, rock (and pop music generally) has always combined music per se with other popular culture fascinations, such as fashion. And that's fine...it's how it is. But I would argue that intersection is most often superficial and misleading in reality.

It's been a while now, but in the past, I had occasion to hang out with some world famous rock musicians, renowned jazz musicians, as well as elite classical musicians and composers. Once I collaborated on an independent movie soundtrack with the lead guitarist from a very well known rock and roll band from the 80s and 90s. They brought me in because they were unable to secure the rights to some music they were using incidentally. They wanted a jazz trio piece, a surf rock piece, a moody "twin peaks" style piece and, of all things, literal elevator music for a scene on an elevator.

I assumed they were paying me because the rock and roll star thought the assignment "below" him. What I quickly found out was that the rock star couldn't do the task. He had tried, but couldn't do it. That was interesting to me. He could riff like mad over a pentatonic and preen confidently all over a stage in front of tens of thousands of people, but couldn't write a muzak piece? Couldn't handle a simple, 30 second jazz composition? Even failed at surf rock....come on!!! But what's more, he was socially and personally one of the biggest dorks (it takes one to know one) of any musician I had ever met.

On the other hand, one of the superficially coolest musicians I ever knew (in terms of lifestyle and personality) was a composer of atonal music only academics care about.

So in my experience, in the real world, the musical nerd/cool continuum is, shall we say, an unpredictable, non-linear affair. That being said, before the curtain is drawn back wizard of oz style, the allure of "coolness" is an actual thing in rock music particularly. And in that context, performing with the TEC/LS combination will inevitably seem "uncool."

That is, until the next Prince starts doing it.

Rock on guys!

Yes. This is the kind of conversation that should follow a cheeky, cliché, philosophically porous joke. Now we're getting somewhere. Keep it coming...

Cheers!

Reckon104 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:50 pm until the next Prince starts doing it.
That right there. I truly believe that the kids are ready to embrace the breath controller if just someone has the courage to go mainstream with it.
Win 11 | Linnstrument | Bitwig | MOTU Digital Performer | Kurzweil K2000R | Roland JV-1080 | Roland JV-2080 | Roland GR-50 | Doepfer Dark Energy | Xfer Serum | UVI Falcon | u-he | iZotope | Arturia | Synapse Audio

Reckon104 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:50 pm So in my experience, in the real world, the musical nerd/cool continuum is, shall we say, an unpredictable, non-linear affair.
Excellent insight.

What is hip?
https://youtu.be/oAatPPEaZDA

I'd also throw out the argument that having conviction about the art you are making is the largest contributor to being "cool". It doesn't really matter what you are doing. If you disregard external validation, do what you love to its fullest extent, people want to come along for that ride. They love that charisma, and want to know the secrets to your self-confidence. That's the secret to Prince's success. One could deride how cheesy his songs are, how effeminate his style is, how dated his sound has become. But his fans would hear none of that, since he just exudes confidence and conviction.

I also think if some kid came out and blasted some formant-filter bass out of a breath controller at an EDM concert, the high-out-of-their-minds masses would eat that up.

So, for all the Linnstrument+TEC+Bitwig users out there: here are some of my Grid patches for you to try, some are mono and some poly. I use cc11 for the TEC.

https://we.tl/t-5cGMTYxOVP

The link will only live a week...
(updated link Nov. 29th 2019)

Cheers!
Last edited by hariossa on Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A belated "thanks" Hariossa. I just fooled around with these last night. They are lovely and also gave me some great ideas about things to modulate with TEC that I hadn't thought of.

many thanks again,
steve

hariossa wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 am The link will only live a week...
Today my Tec arrived, unfortunately the link is expired. Are they also on Bitwiggers? But under which names.... I suggest to tag them there as breath...

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:29 pm
hariossa wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 am The link will only live a week...
Today my Tec arrived, unfortunately the link is expired. Are they also on Bitwiggers? But under which names.... I suggest to tag them there as breath...
No, I haven't uploaded them to Bitwiggers because I believe there are not many of us using both controllers together, I'll upload them to the web and post the link here (and maybe later to Bitwiggers).

Cheers!

So, here they are again:

https://we.tl/t-5cGMTYxOVP

Enjoy!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”