One hand mode?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I read here somewhere about a one hand mode. Searched forum, but can’t locate it. Can anyone please help?
Thanks,
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

There's isn't a specific one-hand mode, but rather that nothing in LinnStrument requires two hands to operate. For example, the Per-Split Settings and Global Settings buttons are both momentary (if held, permitting the second hand to select a printed setting) or toggle (if pressed briefly, allowing the same hand to select the printed setting). Even the Low Row functions are intended to be played by thumb while using fingers to play notes. This is one of the reasons that LinnStrument was awarded "Best Playable Musical Instrument" by the UK's One Handed Musical Instrument Trust in 2015.

What are you trying to do that requires two hands?

Thank you for the quick reply! Not trying to do anything with two hands. Just the opposite in fact. I can only use one hand to play the LinnStrument at this point.

I should have written "What are you trying to do with one hand that you believe to require two hands?" I ask this because I suspect you may not be aware that everything can be done with one hand, and if you tell me what you're trying to do, I will be able to tell you how it is done with one hand.

Hi Mr. Linn,
Thanks so much for your personal replies. I am still not sure how I intend to use the Linnstrument. I have ordered one but will not receive it until the end of this month. Really looking forward to using it. My bass and guitar playing days are over, unfortunately. Any insights that you can provide will be gratefully received by me.
Thanks,
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Well, as a guitar player myself, most of what I play on the LinnStrument is one-handed, despite having two good hands to work with. In my case, I favour my fret hand; however, when I first got my LinnStrument, I endeavoured to practice everything ambidextrously, and found that my pick hand came along fairly quickly as well. So, whichever hand you've still got use of, I'm sure you'll get along just fine with it; especially since you're coming from guitar, and are used to the idea that you can't really play more than three or four notes at a time effectively anyway. That said, the LinnStrument also has a sustain pedal input, so you'll be able to use that to great effect too. And, if need be, you can reverse the LinnStrument's layout for a left or right-handed approach to the playing surface; whichever suits you best.

What Roger is talking about is all the system settings and preferences; all of which can be accessed with just one hand as well.

Cheers!

Thanks John the Savage!
Could you explain the sustain pedal a bit more? I’m certainly not a keyboardist. It’s my left fretting hand that’s non-functional. Do you recommend reversing the right hand layout? I’m game to try anything that may help me on the Linnstrument.
Thanks.
Geoff

The sustain functionality allows notes to ring-out after you've released them, so you can effectively play more notes than you have the fingers for: i.e. you could outline the notes of a chord, for instance, then riff over them while they sustain, without having to hold them down. Not useful in all situations, but definitely functional for chordal or modal playing. Indeed, piano players depend on it. And you can turn the sustain on and off with a footswitch, much like on a piano, so your good hand remains free to play.

There's also a basic sequencer on the LinnStrument, so you could have that running in one split, providing a chord progression, and solo over it in the other split with your good hand. The sequencer is programmable on-the-fly too, so you could even perform with it in real-time. For that matter, get yourself a looper pedal, and have yourself a one-handed field day (grin).

Anyway, as far as making music is concerned, there's is A LOT that can be done one-handed on the LinnStrument, and I think you'll find it very liberating. Guitar is my first love, and it has been my profession for 30 years now, yet I find the LinnStrument just as compelling in many ways. In fact, sonically speaking (because I can play any sound in the world with the LinnStrument), sometimes the guitar can't even compete (wink).

As for reversing the layout of the playing surface, you'll just have to try both directions and see which you prefer. The irony is, playing the LinnStrument with your hand palm-down means that, if you leave it in standard fretboard configuration (ascending left-to-right), the fingerings for the right hand will be the same as the fingers were for your left hand on the guitar. However, I personally find guitar chord-shapes easier to play with my left hand, so it might be worth reversing the playing surface so that it's ascending right-to-left instead, to reverse the right-hand fingerings... You'll see what I mean when you try it. That said, you can also change the tuning configuration entirely: i.e. I use the "guitar" tuning because it's familiar to me, but there might be other tunings that work better for you—each has its advantages and disadvantages. Again, you'll just have to experiment with it.

Cheers!

P.S. I don't know how or when you lost the use of your fret hand, but you have my heartfelt sympathy. Seriously, next to going to deaf, that's got to be my worst nightmare. But I'm also confident that the LinnStrument will set you free again! Arthritis runs in my family, and someday it will steal the guitar from me... When that days comes, and long afterwards, you will find me pecking at my LinnStrument with two fingers, still making music (wink).
Last edited by John the Savage on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WOW! Thanks for the detailed response! You've given me lots to think about. I also appreciate the kind words about my physical issue. You've really given me some hope that I can make music again. Mere words can't express my gratitude for that!
Deeply grateful,
Geoff

My pleasure, Geoff. While you're waiting for delivery of your LinnStrument, you should check out some of Jeremy Cubert's performance videos. He plays mostly one-handed, mostly right-handed, with supremely musical results. Lots of guitar sounds too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLJE9uj ... lP&index=3

For more videos, here's the link to the Playlists page on Roger's YouTube channel as well:

https://www.youtube.com/user/rogerlinnd ... _polymer=1

Cheers!

John the Savage wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:12 pm Well, as a guitar player myself, most of what I play on the LinnStrument is one-handed, despite having two good hands to work with. In my case, I favour my fret hand;
Thats interesting, for me it is the opposite.

I generally don't use a pick on the guitar, 99% finger picking. I wonder if that is why?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

geoffnfa wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:29 am WOW! Thanks for the detailed response! You've given me lots to think about. I also appreciate the kind words about my physical issue. You've really given me some hope that I can make music again. Mere words can't express my gratitude for that!
Deeply grateful,
Geoff
It is always worth listening to John ;)

I would just like to add that the Linnstrument one handed is going to give you lots of enjoyment, you can definitely make music with it that way.

Thanks for the kind words, Andy.

To answer your question about my left vs. right-hand preferences, I actually play mostly finger-style myself, on both electric and acoustic, even when soloing. I typically only use a pick for strumming, and occasionally when I need more bite out of the strings than my nails can provide. So, arguably, the fingers on my right hand are just as proficient, despite the fact that I favour my left. That said, I do a lot of legato playing in the left hand, and have done a lot of scale work over the years, so I think that's why it takes to the LinnStrument so well.

The nails on my right hand also get in the way, so there's that too: i.e. I tend to play up on my finger tips; as such, the hard, focused attack of my nails creates a disparity in velocity-response between my left and right hands. On top of that, they impede Y-axis movements as well. All told, subconsciously, it can prove frustrating.

It's also worth mentioning that I'm a fairly ambidextrous person to begin with. Despite being predominantly right-handed, I do a lot of things like a lefty; which might even be why I took to the guitar in the first place.

Cheers!

Not the finger picking then :)

What I find with my left hand is that my brain thinks everything is upside down compared to the guitar!

I think I must find the right hand easier only because I practised lots of tapping when I was younger otherwise I'm guessing I may well have favoured the left hand on the linstrument to begin with as it is more dexterous.

I know what you mean about the nails, I'm having to keep them shorter than I usually would.

I guess I need to try a bit harder with the left hand.

BobDog wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:04 am What I find with my left hand is that my brain thinks everything is upside down compared to the guitar...
This was definitely the biggest stumbling-block for me too, when I first started on the LinnStrument, but now it's like it never happened. Looking back, I don't even remember when it clicked or how long it took me to get over that hump. It's all but second-nature to me now though. I'm constantly switching back and forth between the guitar and the LinnStrument onstage, and can't say that I give it much thought anymore.

Right hand, left hand... Whatever gets the job done (grin).

Cheers!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”