Ableton Velocity Sensitivity

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Ableton as my primary DAW, but I noticed that the velocity sensitivity is very low with the Linnstrument across all VSTs I've tried. Most notes come out sounding very low, and it takes a very hard keypress to hit a value of 127, even with high velocity sensitivity activated on the Linnstrument.

When I run Mainstage or pro tools, there is no issue whatsoever using the high velocity setting, and the experience is much better. Is there any way for me to apply whatever velocity settings are used in Mainstage in Ableton?

It seems unusual that all of your software instruments in Ableton would have such a different response to LinnStrument’s velocity information than all software instruments in MainStage. Perhaps there is some MIDI processing in Live that you’re not aware of, and which reduces velocity? Other than that, you’ll have to trace the issue down to its cause.

I also use my Linnstrument with Ableton a lot, but I'm not sure I've noticed the same behavior. I'd suggest trying these things though:
- If you haven't already, switch the Linnstrument to One Channel Mode. There are work-arounds to use multiple channels in Ableton, but they take some special setup. If you are just using a single channel instrument in Ableton, Ableton will take all the MIDI data from all the incoming channels and smash it into one channel. This causes some really weird and unpredictable behavior. I could totally see this screwing up your velocity input. It's also handled a bit differently than how other DAWs handle it, so it could explain the discrepancy.
- If the previous tip didn't work, and you enjoy the velocity sensitivity in other DAWs, then a work-around for Ableton would be to use the "Velocity" MIDI effect to scale the incoming velocity to the value you want to send to the instrument/plugin.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”