Cypher 2 bend range not right

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just installed the demo of cypher 2, and I can't get the bend range right. In the VST, I set bend up to +12 and bend down to -12. In the linnstrument, I set bend range to +-12. But when I slide my finger up 1 note, the pitch coming out of the cypher is about 5 notes higher.

I've tried setting both the cypher and the linnstrument to +-2, +-3, and +-24 as well. None of them work right. What am I missing?

[reads this thread right before bedtime and goes to sleep muttering to himself about trying it first thing in the morning, knowing full well that someone will beat him to it but determined to try anyway]
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

What DAW are you using? I use Bitwig and you have to set the device's pitch bend range in the inspector to match what is set in the synth (defaults to +/-48). Other daws might have a similar setting. The device in preferences also needs to know what the device is sending. Linnstrument sends 24 by default so it's usually easiest to set presets to 24.

In Cypher the PB Settings are for use from a "normal" controller, not an MPE controller.

A quick way to check things out is to set the LS to PB range 48. To do this press and hold the 24 button until a number appears on the LS surface, now drag right to get to 48 and press per-split settings to exit. Also to start testing turn Timbre/Y off on the linnstrument.

Now on the browser on the left side select 5D at the top to list the MPE presets and try some of them. Not all will support PB to effect pitch so try a few to make sure everything is working!

To see the PB setup for a patch you need to look in the transmod section at the top, PB in Cypher is called "Glide" so select "PLGlideCurve", it will turn orange and you will be able to see what it is modulating on the controls in the GUI by looking for the orange overlay on the control you can change this with the mouse by clicking on the orange overlay and dragging, if you hover your mouse over the control you will see how much it is being modulated in a little popup overlay as well.

In the image I have attached you can see that the range is (-12 to +36) = 48 range. It is showing -12 because the default tuning is set to -12.
Screenshot 2019-08-16 at 06.53.06.png

Once you work this out you can turn Timbre/Y on the LS back on, the presets are all setup for MPE controllers with a long throw on the Y axis, an easy solution to this for the presets is to change the mapping gain down to around 0.3, the Y axis in Cypher is called "Slide", I have included another image showing where to alter the gain.

Cypher is a complex synth, I would definitely read the manual if I was you.
Screenshot 2019-08-16 at 07.00.16.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BobDog on Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog, that worked. I set LS PB to 48 and adjusted cypher slide gain to 0.3. Thanks a million!

While we're on the topic of cypher, what is the best channel to set Y to? CC1, CC74, other?

Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”