Mode to cycle midi channels for every note played? (Ie. not just overlapping notes) SOLVED: It was a Bitwig setting

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For some reason I thought there was a mode to do this but I haven't figured out how. I need to have each note advance to the next midi channel, rather than repeating the same midi channel if the subsequent note plays after the end of the previous note. Is there a mode for this? So midi channels cycle for every note played in sequence.

It seems that the linnstrument site is down at the moment (side note: Is there an offline manual? Hopefully I can check when the site is back up).

Thank you!
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I just retested LinnStrument (running v2.2.1) and it appear to work as you wish it to: while in Channel Per Note mode, each new press results in a new MIDI channel, regardless of which the the new press is the same pad as previously pressed or a different one, or whether other pads were pressed simultaneously. Can you describe a sequence of pad presses that results in notes sent on the same MIDI channel, and why you find this problematic?

Sorry about the site being down. It should be up within an hour.

Aha! I figured out the issue! In Bitwig, there is a setting on the instrument track where there is a channel conversion with a "From" and "To" field. The default is From ALL and To 1. So it's strange because MPE still works with this setting but the notes seem to go to the lowest possible available notes that aren't being played currently. I don't know what the logic is exactly here but that seems to be the behavior. It also allows non-mpe keyboards to cycle through different channels as well. Anyways, if I change this to From All and To Same (rather than 1), it plays the different midichannels originally coming from the linnstrument and I can now see that the Linnstrument is indeed cycling the midi channels for every note, which is exactly what I had wanted.

The reason this is good is that when using many mpe instruments, or just plain multi-channel/multi-instance instruments like Kontakt and Omnisphere, sometimes you have a pad sound or sometimes with a long release time (especially ambient sounds). With the default behavior in Bitwig, when you play a new note that is pressed after you have lifted a previous note, the midi channel that was just used gets used again, and therefor any expressions applied to the new note will also apply to the old note that is still heard (though not held). It's an issue with Bitwig's on screen keyboard because it always cycles from the lowest available channel. But with linnstrument it doesn't have this problem because it is using new channels (up to your highest assigned channel in the cycle) rather than using a channel that had just played a note.

So yeah big relief! I just didn't know about that setting on the instrument track. So thanks for confirming that it does work that way, it made me figure out what was going on.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”