Request/Idea for sampled legato instruments

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So of course if there is already a way to do this, I'd love to know.

What I would love is a way to use MPE but still trigger scripted legato such as hammer-ons/offs for stringed instruments in kontakt or omnisphere/trillian, for which there tends to be a setting allowing legato to trigger under 2 or 3 semi-tone intervals. For these sampled instruments, it is currently necessary to use a multi with several instances of the copied instrument, each on a different midi channel.
The best way that I can see so far is to use channel per row and either have the instruments in mono so each row is like a string where you can't play multiple notes on a row, or leave the instrument in polyphonic mode so that you can still play notes on the same row, which I'd find preferable to get the most out of the linnstrument. For the latter you must be careful that if you do any expression while multiple notes are held on a row, it will apply it to both.

So here is the request. The ideal thing would be a midi channel legato range that allows you to specify a note range under which the same midi channel is triggered. This would used in a normal MPE mode rather than channel per row so would alternate midi channels for all notes except when the note range is for example under 3 semi-tones, in which case the same midi channel is used, therefor allowing scripted legato samples to play hammer-ons, while still having normal mpe. I'd imagine a hidden setting for legato mode on/off and number of semi-tones.

Thoughts? I'd find it god send for some sampled instruments, but could be useful for synths too.

I’m afraid that is a feature that is better suited to the synth, not the controller, because legato transitions are handled uniquely by each synth depending on the intended sound, and also the need changes from sound to sound. Like any MIDI controller, LinnStrument sends messages when the note is pressed and released. If two notes overlap, it is up to the synth how to handle the legato transition.

Ah that’s too bad. Unfortunately synths don’t have any function to change midi channels on the fly depending on the interval of overlapped notes. In fact it would be logically impossible for separate kontakt instances to change its bahevior in this way since the different instances could never know what notes were triggered by the other instances on different channels. Maybe it would be possible through scripting but it doesn’t exist currently. If it were somehow possible for the linnstrument to dynamically send the same midi channel when notes overlap under 2 or 3 semi-tones, it would certainly simplify matters. But alas, of course I’ll have to accept if that’s not possible. Careful use of channel per row can usually do the trick.

The problem is that there are so many of these ideal personal use cases that coding them all on a instrument without any display would make it very confusing to use. That’s why we included lots of MIDI hooks, a User Firmware mode and open source code. Perhaps someone would like to help you code your feature?

Roger_Linn wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:21 pm The problem is that there are so many of these ideal personal use cases that coding them all on a instrument without any display would make it very confusing to use. That’s why we included lots of MIDI hooks, a User Firmware mode and open source code. Perhaps someone would like to help you code your feature?
Indeed if someone reads this who would find it useful and happens to be good at programming, and wants to help out with implementing it that would be wonderful! Figured I'd ask the developers first since I've seen so many guitar based videos and legato is a pretty common script for guitars. Thought it might be a common wish, but I guess you would have had more requests if so.

Just checking-- have you tried LinnStrument's Strum mode in Per-Split Settings > Special column? It has hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:25 am Just checking-- have you tried LinnStrument's Strum mode in Per-Split Settings > Special column? It has hammer-ons and pull-offs.
I'll check it out, thanks for the tip. Though I'm not really looking to strum, just play normally and make use of kontakt and omnisphere/trilian guitar/bass instruments with legato triggered hammer-on/offs. But I'll certainly explore the strum mode anyways!

All the instruments with different articulations I know (Omnisphere I don‘t), switch articulations with extra keys (mostly on the lowest octave of a keyboard) and don‘t need to switch to different Midi channels. If it is about mimicking a string instrument, you can put each row of the LinnStrument on its own Midi channel (ChPerRow mode), and have a mono instrument in legato mode assigned to each channel.

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:11 am All the instruments with different articulations I know (Omnisphere I don‘t), switch articulations with extra keys (mostly on the lowest octave of a keyboard) and don‘t need to switch to different Midi channels. If it is about mimicking a string instrument, you can put each row of the LinnStrument on its own Midi channel (ChPerRow mode), and have a mono instrument in legato mode assigned to each channel.
Indeed. As I mentioned in my first post, the best way currently to make usre of legato hammer-on scripting currently is channel per row. Using each instance in mono does give an authentic guitar type behavior, however I would argue that leaving each instance in polyphonic is often more useful because it doesn't limit the chord positions that you can play on the same string. You just have to be careful with bends/expressions if you have more than one note held on a given row. But depending on the type playing ,either can be useful.

But that is what makes the character of every instrument. You develop a way to play it which fits its layout and its limitations. There is no need for a cello to have the same expression as a clarinet, they are just different. There is no need for the LinnStrument to cover all ways you can think of, though it is covering already a lot. Just add a breath controller and the clarinet expression isn‘t too far...

Return to “Roger Linn Design”