send MIDI message TO LinnStrument?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know the Linnstrument accepts MIDI clock, but I'm wondering if it accepts other MIDI messages. I have a potential use for a MIDI foot controller to change presets on a bunch of things in my setup simultaneously (iPhone, Expert Sleepers FH-2, messing with its arpeggiator, etc), and it would be great if I could also use it for simple things like enabling sustain and switching splits (so I'd be able to control everything with a single device, rather than having separate footswitches for the Linnstrument). But on a browse through the manual, it does not look like this is possible. Am I wrong? Is there a way?

... well yes, you can control virtually everything with MIDI-messages.

see: https://github.com/rogerlinndesign/linn ... r/midi.txt

Strange thing though: sending MIDI to the LS via USB takes about three times longer than sending it via DIN-MIDI ???

Should'nt it be the other way around??

Wow. That is pretty thorough! Thank you. That might be a lot of programming just to get sustain working through a MIDI pedal, though....

There are 2 things that may be helpful:

1) If you're using the round MIDI jacks, you can enable "THRU mode", in which all received MIDI messages are echoed to the MIDI OUT. This will permit you to connect your MIDI pedal and have its messages mixed in with LinnStrument's sent messages at the MIDI output. However, this only works for the MIDI jacks, not for USB MIDI. To learn more, open the Panel Settings page, Global Settings tab, then search for "MIDI THRU".

2) You can send MIDI CC messages to LinnStrument in order to light the note pad lights however you wish. To learn more, open the Panel Settings page, Global Settings tab, Note Lights On/Off section, subsection "Setting the note lights remotely via MIDI messages".

This all works really well and easily for me. What a great way to visualise existing midi and learn to play so I can re-play it with linnstrument's expression!

I'd also like to see the faders respond to the automation curves I write with them so that they're "motorized". It seems from https://github.com/rogerlinndesign/linn ... r/midi.txt that they should? But mine don't move (sending from bitwig 3.0.3 to linnstrument, firmware 221.054). If I send the same midi to midi-monitor it shows CC1 messages coming through. Am I doing something wrong?

Roger_Linn wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:25 pm You can send MIDI CC messages to LinnStrument in order to light the note pad lights however you wish...
Does anyone know of an iOS application that can do this? I have apps that can send large sysex files, but nothing that can send sequential CC messages in this way...

Cheers!

You could use Synthesia (synthesiagame.com) to light the LS.

Sorry, man, that's not what I meant, nor is it what Roger was referring to. I'm not looking for tutorial software. I'm actually interested in configuring the lights as "fret markers". Someone here did write a desktop application for customizing the lights a while back, but there's no way to make the LinnStrument retain that information; and I'm using an iPad, so I'm looking for an iOS app that can do the same thing. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Cheers!

You say “fret markers”: How about using a marker pen on the silikone. Not on the pads, as it will rub off, but in the gap between the pad. Easy to remove if you change your mind about them.

Hmm... I've thought about that before, but the idea doesn't really appeal to me.

Aside from being an OCD nightmare (wink), I typically play in hot, dark environments. I also play A LOT. So, between the sweat, the low light, and the tequila, I reckon any ink on the silicone simply wouldn't last, regardless of where I put it. My approach thus far, if a bit of a compromise, has been to light up just the 'E' notes, which gets me most of the way there. It does, however, lack symmetry and coverage in some spots, which can be disorienting at times.

No, the short-term fix would be to either find an iOS app that can send the appropriate script; or update the LinnStrument so that it can save and recall a configuration of lights, as sent by the already-available desktop application. Preferably the latter.

That said, the best and most ideal solution would be if the LinnStrument itself, as part of the Scale Select options, were to allow the user to choose specifically which lights are active, as apposed to just which notes are lit... Ahem!

(sigh)

Cheers!

Sorry, John. Hopefully we'll get that feature in at some point.

John the Savage wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:46 am Ahem!
Ahem... If you‘d choose the sixth tuning, there ain‘t no such problems...; - )

I am glad the LinnStrument is neither a guitar nor a violin... and no keyboard either... (Having played with all three in the past...)
Though for other reasons, it would be a nice feature, even if it would just be able to remember a lighting scheme which you set by sending the proper Midi commands from outside...

Roger_Linn wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:57 pm Sorry, John. Hopefully we'll get that feature in at some point.
Thanks, Roger. Your careful consideration of such requests is always appreciated.

No obligation of course. It's not like I'm unable to play the LinnStrument as is. In fact, it's a pleasure to play. I've just been at it long enough now that I'm starting to look at the finer points of the interface, as you would with any instrument as you get to know it. Being able to light up only the pads I would prefer as references would be a small but significant improvement.

Devil's in the details, as they say (grin).

Cheers!

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:55 pm
John the Savage wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:46 am Ahem!
Ahem... If you‘d choose the sixth tuning, there ain‘t no such problems...; - )
Haha... Yes, I've certainly taken note of the satisfying symmetry of the lights in the tritone configuration. Decidedly, however, this old dog ain’t interested in learning new tricks (wink).

Cheers!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”