Any way to change the sensitivity of the Y axis (to have a bigger area that doesn't not respond to movement)

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yep, like I said above, some synths have a lag function and it is indeed very useful, which is where the idea came from. The same is true of course for velocity and pressure sensitivity. These are settings available on most synths also, which can be set per patch depending on the sound, but still the linnstrument has global settings for these because it can be useful so that you can set a sensitivity that you like and not have to change it for every patch. My suggestion was based on a similar philosophy. Setting something once in a controller can be useful for using a whole range of presets that behave similarly so that you don’t have to edit each patch when using presets. That’s where I was coming from.

I’m sorry but no matter what feature you’d add, I suspect you’d learn that LinnStrument’s 17mm Y-axis range is too short to accurately hit specific locations. If you’d like to use such an external lag function and make a video demonstrating its benefits in making LinnStrument’s Y-axis more useable, perhaps others would appreciate it.

Roger_Linn wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:26 pm I’m sorry but no matter what feature you’d add, I suspect you’d learn that LinnStrument’s 17mm Y-axis range is too short to accurately hit specific locations.
Sorry if I was unclear. I wasn't really trying to hit specific locations, simply reduce the response of quick unintentional vertical movements (for some patches, hence an optional setting).
Roger_Linn wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:26 pm If you’d like to use such an external lag function and make a video demonstrating its benefits in making LinnStrument’s Y-axis more useable, perhaps others would appreciate it.
I've been experimenting with various synths and it seems I was mistaken and lag is less common than I had hoped. I remember it being there for Diva which I once owned, but trying the demo again, it turns out that is only for short signals, like taking the edge of of square lfo's. When I went to look to the instruments I use mostly for MPE sounds (Equator, Omnisphere, Kontakt, Repro, Poly-Ana), it turns out these do not have a lag function. I did find a lag module in Bitwig's grid instrument, however this isn't something I use a lot and most people don't use Bitwig. However the lag did mostly work as I had hoped, with the help of the curve module, except that I didn't figure out how to get the lagged expression to reset upon a new note being triggered by the same midi channel again (rather than still being high if the previous note on that channel was high). I'm sure there's a way to have the expression reset upon a new note but it would be still more modules, so it gets rather messy quickly. Anyways the point was more to be able to effectively use presets of existing mpe synths (roli primarily) which have quite pronounced timbre modulations.

So all in all I think I'll have to say that having the synth handle this kind of thing isn't necessarily ideal, or even possible in most cases unfortunately, so I think it was a worthwhile request. Oh well, all I could do was ask. Maybe some brave soul will have a go at the open source code some day. :)

I think this belongs into the sound design. You mentioned using Equator, there you have the perfect way to adjust the curve for the y-axis right in front of you, its the first thing I tweak on any sound. The same is possible with Cypher 2 and Strobe 2. Not only Bitwig can place a Midi FX in front of any synth. I would rather make a Midi FX with a curvature than mess with the firmware of the LinnStrument. Each sound could then easily have a different curve (or lag if that fits better...). I think even tuning to a non equal tempered scale is better suited within a Midi processor which could calculate some pitch bend offset...

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:53 am I think this belongs into the sound design. You mentioned using Equator, there you have the perfect way to adjust the curve for the y-axis right in front of you, its the first thing I tweak on any sound. The same is possible with Cypher 2 and Strobe 2. Not only Bitwig can place a Midi FX in front of any synth. I would rather make a Midi FX with a curvature than mess with the firmware of the LinnStrument. Each sound could then easily have a different curve (or lag if that fits better...). I think even tuning to a non equal tempered scale is better suited within a Midi processor which could calculate some pitch bend offset...
The thread began as a desired to have an in-built curve so as not to have to edit the curve of every preset, but upon reflection and the input in the thread, it seems that curves can still be challenging with extreme modulation in the small square area. A lag however can successfully reduce unintentional y axis modulation. With the bitwig lag module I found around 1-1.5 seconds to work well. And best results combining that with a slightly delayed curve curve. Unfortunately most synths don't have this modulator. Perhaps I should edit he thread title for posterity...

Keep it, you are not alone with these thoughts and it helps everybody to think about it... My own experience is, that what was different than I expected or envisioned in the beginning, in the end fell into place and made a lot of sense. My demands and ideas when all this started for me personally vanished completely. Instead I adapted to this wonderful instrument and love it by heart and the way it is...

Return to “Roger Linn Design”