USB Hub that works with a LinnStrument

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've found that the only way for my LinnStrument to work correctly on my current PC is to connect it directly to a port on the PC, which is not ideal. I've tried a couple powered USB hubs but they don't seem to work. Has anyone had any luck with any particular hub?

Thanks

Did you try a powered hub? In my set I have it connected through a powered 7-port USB 3 hub and it works fine. The host is a Mac Pro 2013...

I'm on PC and I've got mine going into a 7 ort usb hub (powered) which then goes into a Dell Docking hub which goes thunderbolt into my laptop and it works fine. Mine's a linnstrument 128 though, not sure if that matters.

Yes, I've tried a couple different powered hubs, and I'm not quite sure how to divine what exactly the difference is, which is why I was curious what model hubs people had success with.

I have used mine with a variety of hubs with no problems, this is on OSX though.

I wonder if there is some windows thing going on, like running out of midi ports and windows seeing the linnstrument via hub connections as new ports.

What version of windows are you running?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Windows 10

It's certainly a Windows specific thing, but not a midi ports issue. I've found other devices to exhibit the same behavior - and reproduced it on multiple computers. I've tried narrowing it down by creating a virgin virtual install of Windows and plugging only one device into it so there's no lingering software and it's very consistent - plug directly into the computer it's recognized, plug into the hub it's not.

From what I've been able to determine, some hubs are different than others, but not in any way that's clearly identifiable. Powered hubs are definitely a factor, but even there it appears there's some other distinguishing factor. I could just keep buying and returning until I get one that works, but I figured I'd ask here first to see if anyone had any specific success with Windows and a particular model of hub.

Thanks

mmm, windows 10 is meant to be better at this sort of stuff.

I would always recommend Anker kit

Also worth staying with 4 ports. I know on a Mac anything more than 4 ports us treated as multiple hubs which can cause problems, I'm not sure if this is the same on windows though.

Some maybe a powered 4 port Anker hub.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I second the recommendation of Anker. I use a 10-port powered hub that's effortlessly transparent to my Mac.

One unsung hero interface for this sort of thing is the Novation AudioHub 2 x 4. Its audio connectivity isn't great, but the built-in 3-port powered hub is genius -- it will even pass audio in addition to MIDI under the right circumstances. I use it with my LS128 and an iPad and it's dead brilliant.
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

My 7 port hub is made by Dynex (http://www.emtcompany.com/usb/dynex-dx- ... 0-hub.html), seems ok. I do get the roli lightpad block crapping out sometimes. But haven't had the linnstrument have any trouble with it. Also have MAschine and Komplete s88 mkII and a couple novation controllers going in, plus a cme keyboard. Then one cable to the Dell docking station.

Thank you - sounds like almost the exact configuration I have - I'll try that.

Excuse my ignorance but I've been trying to find a USB-hub on-line and just got more confused.

Say I go for an Anker 4 ports. Can you specify a model, please?

Or what about the M-Audio M-Track Hub, would that work with the Linnstrument? I'm on an 2012 MacBook Pro.

Thanks in advance.

tiantong wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:49 am Excuse my ignorance but I've been trying to find a USB-hub on-line and just got more confused.

Say I go for an Anker 4 ports. Can you specify a model, please?

Or what about the M-Audio M-Track Hub, would that work with the Linnstrument? I'm on an 2012 MacBook Pro.

Thanks in advance.
Pretty much any Anker hub that is powered will do the job. The company's less expensive and smaller models do not suffer in terms of quality... that's why we recommend Anker :ud:

I do not believe that the M-Track Hub is still being made. You will have to hunt around for dealers that still have units in stock. The same problem exists for the Novation AudioHub 2x4, which is a much better unit. Try the used market?
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

M-Track hub can be purchased, at least in Europe.

tiantong wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:39 pm M-Track hub can be purchased, at least in Europe.
Well, it’s not very expensive, so maybe you can give it a try. If you use it for audio as well as midi, listen carefully for high frequency Noise from the USB connection. That’s the one thing that buyers have mentioned in their reviews.

mrspiral wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:20 pm
tiantong wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:39 pm M-Track hub can be purchased, at least in Europe.
Well, it’s not very expensive, so maybe you can give it a try. If you use it for audio as well as midi, listen carefully for high frequency Noise from the USB connection. That’s the one thing that buyers have mentioned in their reviews.
Thanks, I'm going to give it a try

Return to “Roger Linn Design”