SOLVED - Linnstrument USB MIDI not working under MacOS X High Sierra / Mojave

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A few months back, my Linnstrument was no longer recognized as a MIDI device under MacOS X. I could see the device in the System Report under USB, but it was not recognized in Audio MIDI Setup, and would not show up in any applications. It may have been an update, or another device - I have a fairly large number of MIDI devices (interfaces, controllers).

It worked fine as a USB device when rebooting to Windows, and under iOS, so I knew it was something with the OS. I had resorted to using the DIN port through a MIDI interface, but it was more convenient to using it as a USB device.

I was about to reinstall MacOS X on the machine, but I found a solution. After running the following command from a terminal, I removed all the MIDI devices from Audio MIDI Setup, and left the Linnstrument as the the only MIDI device plugged in. I chose a new configuration from MIDI Studio, and the Linnstrument finally showed up!

sudo rm -rf /Library/Audio/MIDI\ Drivers/*

I guess I should mention that I am running MacOS X on non-Apple hardware - a custom rig built as an audio workstation - but I haven't had any major issues with it until now. I thought I would mention this here in case anyone else runs into this problem.

Thanks for sharing...

jreineke wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:30 pm A few months back, my Linnstrument was no longer recognized as a MIDI device under MacOS X. I could see the device in the System Report under USB, but it was not recognized in Audio MIDI Setup, and would not show up in any applications. It may have been an update, or another device - I have a fairly large number of MIDI devices (interfaces, controllers).

It worked fine as a USB device when rebooting to Windows, and under iOS, so I knew it was something with the OS. I had resorted to using the DIN port through a MIDI interface, but it was more convenient to using it as a USB device.

I was about to reinstall MacOS X on the machine, but I found a solution. After running the following command from a terminal, I removed all the MIDI devices from Audio MIDI Setup, and left the Linnstrument as the the only MIDI device plugged in. I chose a new configuration from MIDI Studio, and the Linnstrument finally showed up!

sudo rm -rf /Library/Audio/MIDI\ Drivers/*

I guess I should mention that I am running MacOS X on non-Apple hardware - a custom rig built as an audio workstation - but I haven't had any major issues with it until now. I thought I would mention this here in case anyone else runs into this problem.
Were you then able to add other devices back in? And are you at liberty to tell us more about your non-Apple build? Thanks.
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”