A Fully Wireless Linnstrument setup on the cheap...

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Friends, for what it's worth, here is a cheap way to go wireless with the LS (sorry, this works for the full sized LS only). Two 3.7V 2200 maH rechargeable fan batteries ($2.50 each), a battery holder ($1.50), a bit of wire and shrink tubing and a plug that fits the LS power port. Polarity doesn't matter due to the clever and forgiving design of the power port (thanks, Roger!). Two strips of magnetic tape on the back of the battery holder mount the whole unit securely on the steel LS faceplate with no mods and no damage. Nominally the two batteries in series provide 7.4V. This is slightly below the required 7.5V spec, but even running the wireless BlueTooth MIDI transmitter shown in the photo, the whole works has run 6 hours on full brightness so far with no sign of quitting yet. My guess is that it will drop below the required voltage somewhere before 7 hours. (I think it would easily go 10 plus hours on low-power mode.) The battery diameter is less than the vertical thickness of the wooden bumpers, and two batteries end to end will fit easily between two of the mounting screws, which means that it would not be difficult to fabricate replacement bumpers that could house two batteries, eliminating my unsightly rig. One could even double up, using 4 batteries in series/parallel (still 7.5V), which would give a battery run in excess of 12 hours. The easiest way to recharge the batteries is simply to put them in the wireless fan and charge it via a USB charger.

The wireless MIDI transmitter is the Quiccosound Wireless MIDI interface, available on amazon.com. (I think others may have posted regarding this already). My particular specimen has a plastic shell that was so thick that I had to sand two sides down so that they could be inserted (the MIDI ports on the LS are quite close together).

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PS: The batteries finally ran out a little over 8 hours.

8 hours is pretty good!
Bitwig, against the constitution.

And that was on full power, with the MIDI BT interface running.

I suspect a lot of USB power banks use the same sorts of batteries (18650).

Return to “Roger Linn Design”