request: CC faders and others

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like to get feedback from users of LS here. Please respond which of these would you like to see in a future update (if any) I hope Roger could consider some if there is enough interest. I read the FAQ "suggest a feature" and I think some of this might fit the bill. Most of these are related to MIDI CC control. I really don’t want another controller while playing LS. I chose LS b/c of its versatility like splits, arp, etc so to push the boundaries a bit more in the MIDI CC control world would be very appreciated.

Here is the list:

1. SPECIAL CC FADERS: Add value range for each fader.
This would work as other hidden functions where vertical movement would choose LOW/HIGH/CC# and horizontal movement would choose value for LOW/HIGH/CC. I Do need to change a CC thathas only 4 valid values. Simple, there is NO way that I can hit “That Exact” value while performing with fader that is 4-5 pads wide. So choosing one of the 127 values for type-like-CC-control becomes a lottery while playing. (good for LFO type, Wave type, bank...etc)

2. SPECIAL CC FADERS: A Need for more than 8 CC faders either trough Paging (bottom yellow row) or a matrix in the setup page (same concept as saving patterns).

3. Preset Page: Remember the last preset number (with 2.x FW it always goes to #1 after power up)

4. Sequencer: Quick editing by directly clicking on one of the velocity/length/Y-axis pads on the right bottom part. I rarely need to get the EXACT velocity value so 6 levels of velocity/duration/Y-axis would be ok. If I start to slide on those editing pads I would get to the existing “fine editing” functionality of those 4 note parameters on bottom right side of the sequencer.

5. NEW SPECIAL: Another special mode, an incarnation of CC Faders called: "MINI XY expressors” or "Kaosspad-sets": group of 4 or 8 pads (Depends on size of the split) would serve as XY or XYZ controller. The setup is the same as for CC faders and we would definitely need ranges for each axis. This is tough one to sell, b/c the “y" structure of the LS is special.. But at least I’d like to know if anybody responds with #5.

Thank you!
Funktree

I would support #3 though it does remember all settings no matter if its saved into a preset. The selected might not represent the setting anyway...
The others are not important for me. To add a little faderbox like a nanokontrol is much more convenient and has better physical feedback than a LinnFader. What is implemented already is what I still don’t use. Same for the sequencer. I do have my Bitwig setup, which is sequence and arp enough. I don’t mind its there though.

I honestly don’t see the merit in any of the above suggestions. The LinnStrument does what it’s supposed to do and a whole lot more already. In my opinion, your proposed implementations would make for convoluted functionality at best. I agree with TJ in that there are far better ways to facilitate what you seem to want to do, by means of dedicated third-party hardware, without otherwise complicating the LinnStrument’s existing feature set.

There may yet be subtle ways to improve the LinnStrument as an expressive controller, but surely not by turning it into a sub-par X/Y pad or fader bank. Sorry, but I simply don’t think any of these ideas are the way forward...

Cheers!

Middle ground here. I don't think these ideas are without merit per se, but I do agree that one has to be careful in trying to get everything packed into the LS that could be done with outside hardware. Here are some suggestions that I've been thinking about for a while...

1. It would be really cool if we could change the Low Row to a High Row. When I'm playing the LS standing up, that's a much more useful positioning for me, because I'm gripping the far edge of the LS from underneath to stabilize it and my left hand is right there. (I have removed the wooden cheeks so the back row is easier for me to reach with my left hand.) This would let me use the built-in X=CC1 and XYZ=CC16-18 modes in a very fluid way.

2. Also a handy possibility for desktop play: instead of a Low Row, how about a Left Column? Then I can get my thumb into the act while playing with the right hand, and have access to Switches 1+2 at the same time...

3. (not a super-serious suggestion) Take the first three pads of the top row and turn them into Z=Bend Down, CC1, Bend Up -- ARP-style PPC control! OK, I'll shut up now. :D
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

John the Savage wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:40 pm There may yet be subtle ways to improve the LinnStrument as an expressive controller, but surely not by turning it into a sub-par X/Y pad or fader bank. Sorry, but I simply don’t think any of these ideas are the way forward...
Cheers!
Subtle ? LinnStrument is manifestation of expressiveness as I wrote in other thread. So I'd like to go deeper if possible. If there is split function already why not tweak it a bit ? Nothing would get more convoluted b/c Roger implements the "Hidden" features very cleverly so sorry the interface would NOT get obscured more.

On the flip side yes, I can use another MIDI CC box, another power brick and another 2-3 cables to hook it up to a midi splitter etc... sorry I was not clear the first time. I guess stationary studio at your house, yes an extra box etc. But there are a lot of minimalist or live players that need to slim down their setup (me too)

BTW: horizontal faders in the split mode are not stellar option from ergonomic point of view. It is harder to train a finger to go fully vertically to modify a sound timbre or arp speed (what ever you need those faders for). The XY approach brought mostly by Korg machines is much better for a finger expressiveness. If we had 3x3 or 2x2 XY fader mode, you could "anchor" a finger to a stationary "middle" pad (3x3 XY setup) and travel either direction to add timbre etc, while jumping on stage (yes there is a strap option for LI) Here is a product (not mobile one:) that takes hands/finger shapes into consideration https://www.sound-machines.it/product/arches/

Hi Funktree,
In case you haven't seen my statement of guiding principal for adding features, here's a copy of it from the FAQ page, General tab:

Q: Can you add this feature: __________?
A: LinnStrument has a very full feature set, which you can see in the User Manual, accessed from the LinnStrument Support page.
However, the flexible nature of LinnStrument inspires many different people to want to make it into many different instruments. Geert (LinnStrument programmer) and I (Roger) realized early on that:
1) We don’t have the resources to make a LinnStrument that meets everyone’s individual desires,
2) we didn’t want to make it so complex that it scares away non-techy musicians, and
3) we wanted to keep it compact without adding space for an alphanumeric display.
So we intentionally chose parameters that focused on its core purpose as an expressive musical performance instrument and printed them on the panel, and we only printed parameters in the first 16 columns in order to maintain compatibility with LinnStrument 128. And for all of the many different features that individual users desire, we:
1) released the software as open-source, permitting everything to be customized,
2) put in lots of remote MIDI commads so that external computer applications can control nearly everything, and
3) created a User Firmware Mode that allows LinnStrument to act as a smart terminal for external computer applications.
Given that the upper and lower printed panel parameters through column 16 are all used, any new features must be fairly simple and carefully considered to be important to many users for LinnStrument's core purpose as an expressive musical performance instrument.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”