Sustain Pedal on Splits

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have an M-Audio sustain pedal with a switch to reverse polarity. When I plug it into my Linnstrument to use as a sustain pedal, everything works fine except when I try to use it only one one split. It seems like both splits are listening for the sustain. Is there a way I change change this behavior to use sustain on the left split only?

Yes, in Global Settings > Assign Panel/Foot Switches, there's a setting called BOTH SPLITS. If you want the switch to affect only the selected split, turn this off.

Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:45 pm Yes, in Global Settings > Assign Panel/Foot Switches, there's a setting called BOTH SPLITS. If you want the switch to affect only the selected split, turn this off.
I took a look, and the BOTH SPLITS setting is indeed off for the pedal yet the behaviour still occurs. I've also made sure to select the desired split.

Just so you know, you do need to plug the pedal in before you power on the LinnStrument, otherwise weirdness ensues...

Cheers!

The problem may be that your splits are both set to the same Main MIDI channel, so sustain (cc64) is being received by the synths for both splits. You can verify this by monitoring the MIDI Messages being received by both MIDI synths.

Hi! Related question to the original post here:

Is there away to use a dual foot switch to have separate sustain pedals for each split?

Left pedal = sustain for left split, right pedal = sustain for right split.

Sorry, no. This is the first time anyone has inquired about this, and it would seem to be a rare use case.

As a close workaround, you could assign Left Foot to Sustain with Both Splits on, and Right Foot to Sustain with Both Splits off. Then if Split is on AND the Left Split is selected (Split button is green), then pressing the left foot switch would sustain both split, while pressing the right split would sustain only the right split.

Or you could assign the left pedal to send Sustain and the right pedal to send CC63, then in your daw reassign Sustain (cc64) to sustain your left sound, and reassign CC63 to CC64 (sustain) on you right sound.

Thank you Roger. Rare use cases seems to be my middle name these days :)

The first solution you recommend gets me a lot closer than I am now, so thank you very much for that.

I'm trying to keep the setup functional whether there is a DAW involved or not, so I don't think the second solution is workable given that. Everything is going to a MioXM and I am able to remap there, but since the Linnstrument doesn't receive sustain messages from external sources (we dealt with this in a previous thread), I don't think I can make it happen, remapping or not.

Definitely not the end of the world - I think it's actually the sheer amount of things the Linnstrument can do that made me think the dual sustain option might be possible. Basically I do a lot of droney material - one split is going to a synth, the other to an Assimil8or via and Expert Sleepers FH-2 - was hoping to get a drone going on one side, hold down the pedal freeing up my hands for either the other side of the split, then hit the other pedal and free my hands up for knobs and/or other instruments.

Also, Sustain Pedal is merely a CC64 message, so any way that you can send CC64 independently to each of your synths will work. For example, a MIDI foot switch connected directly to your computer.

Ok! Thank you Roger!

edit...never mind, I was restating the same things said earlier.
Dave

Return to “Roger Linn Design”