Simple Linnstrument intervals/notes tools

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,
sometimes i have to learn some chords progression on the linnstrument either starting from the chord type or from the notes. To help myself i created a layered PDF and i wanna share it with you, in case somebody could need it too.
I remember somebody did a similar tool but i couldn't find a way to show the notes on multiple octaves.

It works like this:
When opened it's just a grid

Clicking on the layer icon you can see all the layers, the top one is the grid itself, under it intervals, and under them notes. I added a "--------" layer just to divide the 2 groups

Clicking on the individual layer it shows all the position of a specific interval (of course any layer can be visibile at the same time to create chords, that's the whole point :) )

or note

the PDF can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d32uwj34zwq0l ... t.pdf?dl=1

Bye ;)

That's nice of you. I can't use the layer features in Preview on my Mac. I guess you need a special program? Anyway, there is more learning in doing it than in just opening it. I did something similar when I learned to play bass, just with papir and pencil.

The Linnstrument grid is more or less in my head by now, I've turned off all the lights except root and fifth, see if I dare to get out of C maj/A min key.

Very nice, Piero. Thank you.

tiantong wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:07 pm That's nice of you. I can't use the layer features in Preview on my Mac. I guess you need a special program? Anyway, there is more learning in doing it than in just opening it. I did something similar when I learned to play bass, just with papir and pencil.

The Linnstrument grid is more or less in my head by now, I've turned off all the lights except root and fifth, see if I dare to get out of C maj/A min key.
You should be able to do it with the normal adobe reader https://get.adobe.com/it/reader/
I made it because sometimes i have to learn some chords progression and i love to use inversions etc to keep them always really close, the problem comes when i have to think about which "shape" of the chord i wanna use, and on the linnstrument there are really a trillion ways to make the same chord, especially with 2 hands. Example: C7

I use it to speed up the process.
Another example: Let's take a progression of Stevie Wonder Higher Ground: Em-G-A-F#-A-B (with 7 chords it works even better but i have to learn this now :D )
1) Em = E-G-B and i choose a shape, for example this but could have been any other:
2) G = G-B-D. G and B are common so i only have to decide which D i want in the chord. I have chosen to go "down" but i could have also stayed on the same line and play the 2 Ds on the left:
3) A = A-C#-E. Here i have many options because there are no common notes but i went for this:
4) F# = F#-A#-C#. Here i have the common C#
5) A = A-C#-E. Here i just went back to the past A but i could have chosen another shape as well (in this case i have A-F#-A progression and they all have C# as bass note)
6) B = B-D#-F#. Here i could have just moved everything 2 frets higher but instead i have chosen differently

Of course everything can be done on paper. It's just a quicker way (for me :D )
Roger_Linn wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:20 pm Very nice, Piero. Thank you.
You're welcome Roger :)

Smart. Thank you!

Does anyone have a copy of this tool?
The Dropbox link doesn't work anymore.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi, all. I tried following the link to this PDF, but Dropbox reports the file is no longer there.

If anyone still has this PDF, please let me know.

(On a related note, I installed Martin Jirsák's Linnstrument Explorer but the app terminates once I click on any control. I'm running on a Macbook Pro with OS X Big Sur. Now that's strike 2 for me!)

I've got a little time off from work, and was hoping to develop some skills with the Linnstrument that I have just recently purchased. I'm sure this tool would be really useful to me, and if anyone could help, I'd be so grateful.

Thanks!

-Matt.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”