Modor NF-1m vs Audiothingies Micromonsta

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have found a couple of issues here, are these the same on yours:

1. Pitchbend range is a bit strange, I need 24 when LS set to +-12, 34 when LS set to +-24 and 48 when LS set to +-48!

2. It handles playing the same note twice perfectly, can bend each one independantly etc but when I release one of them it treats it as a note off for both notes.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I've got pitchbend set to 48 on both - no issues with the note off thing either. Are you on the most recent firmware? (With the modor - can't remember if I had to update mine)

I'll check the note off thing later as that is something I could have missed...

Yep on most recent (006), it came with this installed.

Quick digs - mine is os 005, I have the modor in mpe mode with bend set to 48 on both devices, connected via midi out to midi in. The same note/note off thing you describe is the same in mine so it seems that is a bug. Note sure how likely it is that the new os has borked up slides?

Give them a shout - I've had a bit of back and forth over the pedal input and they are pretty responsive (admittedly without really getting to the bottom of the problem I found!)

Ok, thanks very much for checking.

48 is fine on mine as well, it's just 12 and 24 that are a bit strange, although both can be made to work fine so it isn't much of an issue, the note off one is more of an issue for me but I'm guessing both are pretty easy to fix.

I have emailed them but it was on Friday at around going home time, so I guess I should hear something on Monday.

p.s. I really like the thing, it is quick and easy to get something that sounds good out of it and I'm liking the LP filter much more with a little bit of drive. Still learning but a good buy I think.

I'm happy you're happy with it - I've certainly grown fond of it in that I talked myself out of both the continuing and parva to focus on this

Forgot to post. Marcel got back to me on Monday. The note off issue will be fixed in next firmware. With the PB issue he said just find the value that works :)

That's good he's going to sort the note off thing. How you gelling with it a week or so on?

I really like it, I was looking for an easy to program hardware MPE synth and it does the job well.

The only thing I would change is to have a mode where the formant filter could be swapped to another classic filter.

Yeah that would be nice - having the option of a different multimode to choose from with similar morphing be nice. I'd probably take more patch slots and pedal integration that works across the full range.

Anyhow, I'm glad you like it and if you're experience is anything like mine it's one of those you keep liking more and more the longer you spend with it.

To the original question ... both if you can.
But MM wasn't available when I last looked ... but I liked mine so much that I picked up another cheap 2nd-hand and polychain them.
The Modor though ... I bought and really like ... but it had stayed in it's case for a while ... Skulpt & Craftsynth 2 occupying ... bit then they released some new firmware for the NF-1m. It's mainly about microtuning ... and I've barely touched that ... but just love the tones ... glassy bell tones chime wonderful when you sweep your fingers across the Linnstrument, a real peal or carillon, resonant thudding FM baselines and massive pads ... really inspiring sounds on their own, but so much more subtle with MPE.
I have a whole collection of expressive hardware synths, and highly recommend the NF-1m

TobyB wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:00 pm Skulpt
How does Skulpt play with LS? It is not MPE yet, is it?

Not yet, but unofficially and please don't quote me on this, Modal is looking into the possibility. No promises, certainly no timeline. I am probably still going to put my SKULPT up for sale along with my CRAFT 2.0, so if you feel like gambling, hit me up... :D
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Nah, I will happily wait. :-D
Also, I have just ordered a Modor NF-1m, so that should cover my need.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”