Modor NF-1m vs Audiothingies Micromonsta

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking to get a hardware synth, and I think I'm down to the Modor NF-1m or Audiothingies Micromonsta. Anyone have first hand experience with either of them?

Pros and cons?
Ease of use/learning curve?
How easy were they to setup for MPE?
Lots of good Y axis goodness?
How expressive is it?
Would you recommend them?

I think both the Futuresonus Parva and the Haken ContinuuMini sound AMAZING, but the former is discontinued and the latter is out of my price range. I wish I would have gotten in on the kickstarter for the ContinuuMini, as I could have had it for about the same price as the NF-1m, but I was asleep at the wheel.

The continuuMini is now out of my price range, and I would only consider it if it is clearly head and shoulders above the competition.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I've had both, sold the MM, kept the nf1m. Here's what I said elsewhere on the subject...
tIB wrote:I have both so will chime in... YMMV as always, and I've had the modor for a lot less time than the MM.

I currently have the micromonsta for sale although I have toyed with the idea of keeping it as a live synth - I'm not playing out live anywhere near enough to justify it really though. The MM is a capable synth - it's a decent enough workaround and sounds pretty solid in a vanilla type way: there's nothing that's too standout but it all works well together. Lacks a headphone out which is annoying for me.

I think the sound of the modor is a bit stronger - it has more personality and there is a bit more under the hood that can (or may - I haven't got this far yet) get you deeper. I also like the formant filter integration and prefer the effects section on this one than on the MM. I much prefer the build too, albeit in a probably less portable (lightweight) type way.

So yeah, for me it's the modor, though I'd file both in the decent category. - I should add I'm using both of these as MPE controlled poly synths alongside a Linnstrument: both do this task very well.

I'll add that after having the nf1 for a lot longer now I've grown to really like it - very interesting range of oscillators and basic FM and additive integration which can get interesting when assigning to MPE modulations. I don't love the filter (I also don't dislike it), and it isn't ever going to do a fat Moog style sound but if you love t for what it is here's plenty to love.

The micromonsta was also a decent synth, but I prefer the nf1. My compromise of sorts was to try out the MM first, and if it left !e wanting the nf1 was next on the list. Parva was after that but so far it's ecapsed me... I'd like to try it but certainly don't feel I need it.

This is great t-1B. Thanks so much!

Would you mind sharing the link to the thread where you posted about this earlier? That could be helpful too.

It was in the nf1 thread over at muffwiggler - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 09#3011309

If you've any more questions about either of them I'll do my best to answer.

How about mod matrix wouldn’t the 7 slots on Modor limit you a bit.. especially with Linnstrumment ?
MM has 6+2 + "few hardwired". So I can have 2-3 “Z" mods going somewhere and then Y to go another 3 destinations while still using 2 prewired LFO destinations.

In practice I didn't find it an issue - while I'd always welcome more wire slots the 3 LFOs and 4 envelopes (all of which are hardwired, with loopable envs) along with the matrix have had it singing nicely as an mpe synth.

I will say that routing the matrix is clunky on both synths- a case of learning the menu orders.

@t-IB

So I'm thinking of getting an NF-1m, how's the editing from the front panel?

Have you still got it?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I do! Front panel editting is good for the most part once you learn the layout - the only funky bit really is the mod matrix where you have to rememeber the order of everything (not always ordered in the way you'd expect) and the pot scrolls through every single destination. That definitely isn't a deal breaker for me - slightly annoying but completely manageable.

I've grown to love it more over time too - the bits I didn't love right away (filter) have proven to be more than adequate and I've got some very nice MPE driven sounds out of it. Incidentally, I'm doing just that in a live set with the nf1m, bug ptdelay and a couple of portable bits chirping behind next month.

Thanks for the info, if you still have it then it must be good ;)

I have a bit of spare cash (thanks PPI) and it's a toss up here between a Digitakt and the NF-1m, not quite equivalent I know but both things I have wanted.

Another tick for the NF1, I think it might win.

BobDog wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:54 am Thanks for the info, if you still have it then it must be good ;)
Yeah - been here over a year now I think and only the decent stuff lasts that long... at one point I thought about trying the parva but it survived that potential cut. At another time I was half thinking of grabbing a second for use with splits.

Good enough for me, all ordered and arrives tomorrow.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Enjoy! Don't expect it to blow you away out of the box - it's a builder and it needs tlc/programming...

Well, I have spent a couple of hours, messing around with presets with a bit of basic editing.

Hardware seems ok, thump on power on and give in the knobs isn't so good. The knobs issue I think feels like it isn't the pots but rather the caps, not sure yet I need to get the caps off and have a look.

I like the sound, it can sound quite/very "broken" in an interesting way, definitely not sterile. The envelopes are great, oscillators interesting and not sure about the main filter yet, need more time on that.

Initial impressions are good.

Happy you're happy so far. They replaced the pots for metal shaft on the m version I think so if nothing else it's better than the original big version (also now upgraded). Filter wise it's about finding the sweet spots between envelope curve, depth and drive I think.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”