For those of you with an interest in using Linnstrument to control hardware

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love the idea of an iOS device, but i have to say in a real world musical context (in my case, band practice in a shared space, and performances in shared spaces where you can’t stay set up all the time), there are a lot of issues if you’re not using an iConnectivity device. To get the most out of iOS music apps you need an iPad. I’ve got a 2018 iPad Pro. All the USB-C hubs for it that I can find that ALSO pass power have those little “tails” rather than a proper cable coming out. I tried using a USB-C extension cable to take the weight off the iPad connector and it won’t recognize the hub. Higher build quality USB hubs with a C connector for the iPad tend to have a headphone out, which I don’t want because iOS doesn’t have a reliable mechanism for choosing between audio interfaces. I may in the end break down and get an iConnectivity device or the Arturia Audiofuse, but I have to say for the last few months, trying both iPad and iPad solutions, using an i-device has often resulted in the first 20 minutes of band practice featuring a lot of troubleshooting.

When you look at gear made for musicians, the build quality is higher that the current options for plugging an IOS device into another system. Linnstrument is a good example. So are most effects pedals. Why such a USB-C hub does not exist, I can guess, but mostly I’m frustrated that it doesn’t seem to exist.

Conversely, now that I have set up my Expert Sleepers Fh-2, I can just plug right into my modular and it works every time and powers the Linnstrument.

If it helps, I recently updated my site’s Hooking It Up page with the solution I use for my iPad Pro with USB-C. It uses a small Anker Hub and small Apogee audio interface together in order to provide 1) power to iPad and LinnStrument, 2) USB data from LinnStrument to iPad, and 3) stereo audio output from iPad as well as mono audio in, and so far works reliably for me. Also, I velcro them together so they act as one compact device that sits next to the iPad Pro.

Relatively new Linnstrument user and definitely a synth newbie here!

Any opinions on the available synth patches of the Organelle (M)? What I heard online did not sound very convincing, but maybe it is just the demos. In principal It seems like a great hardware option with MPE support (via specific patches) but also being able to use it as a sampler/sequencer, what have you.

Another MPE compatible device which also looks extremely interesting for a guitarist like me is the new Mod Duo X. It seems like a great all-in-one and very flexible device with many synth plugins, but again the demos were not great. Anyone played around with the original Mod Duo?

I am currently using (and sometimes struggling) several iOS apps and some desktop synths, a hardware option would be nice. I definitely like that the above products use open source software, it is a great development!

theows wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:11 pm Another MPE compatible device which also looks extremely interesting for a guitarist like me is the new Mod Duo X. It seems like a great all-in-one and very flexible device with many synth plugins, but again the demos were not great. Anyone played around with the original Mod Duo?
Is the Mod Duo X MPE compatible though? I spoke to them directly, not that long ago, and asked about the various synthesis options onboard and whether or not they had any plans to implement MPE on the Mod Duo X, but the response I got was effectively "Hmm, yes, well... We'll think on it." I'm paraphrasing there of course, but that was the overall sentiment.

I personally think the Mod Duo X is the idea hardware design for powering and providing synthesis for MPE controllers, but it's primary focus remains on guitar processing. I also have my eye on Vector, but again, I asked, and thus far they have no solid plans to implement MPE either.

Cheers!

John the Savage wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:46 pm Is the Mod Duo X MPE compatible though? I spoke to them directly, not that long ago, and asked about the various synthesis options onboard and whether or not they had any plans to implement MPE on the Mod Duo X, but the response I got was effectively "Hmm, yes, well... We'll think on it." I'm paraphrasing there of course, but that was the overall sentiment.
Thanks John. The Mod Duo is listed on Roli's compatibility page. I also think that I saw similar information at one of the sites I was visiting, but looking now again, it is not stated anywhere else. Not sure if it would be plugin-specific. I guess I would need to also get in touch now and double check that assumption :)

I also talked with one of the developers for the Duo X at some point. The hardware should be fine, but someone needs to build an MPE softsynth for it. They are pretty thin on synths right now.

I chimed in to Novation that o would also love to see MPE for the Peak. I pointed out that the Peak would fill a nice Niche between Micromonsta and Kijimi. They said that it is an open case and my feedback has been added.

“We do have a case currently in place with our development team to evaluate this feature request. We currently do not have any additional information to provide on implementation of this feature but I have made sure to add your feedback to the case. This type of feedback is important to us as it does help track the number of individuals wanting to see this impacting any potential future updates.”

It seems that Novation is officially feeling-out the prospect of implementing MPE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF61Np7 ... krk0h00410

I couldn't help but notice the curious and somewhat hopeful words "We have partnered with ROLI..." in the video description. At any rate, I say pile on with the likes, comments, and requests, whilst they're listening. Seriously, when a video like this, posted on Novation's own channel no less, only gets a few hundred views and barely any comments, it only stands to reinforce whatever reluctance and skepticism may yet be causing them to hesitate or otherwise question the demand for MPE.

So, go, badger them... Now's your chance (wink).

Cheers!

Couldn't they have gotten someone with better MPE chops to do the opening music? It's a 27-minute video, and by the time you get to the opening of the lecture at 1:27, you've turned it off because it sounds like something has tuning troubles!
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Well, be that as it may, I think it's in our best interest to show as much interest as possible in this development, and encourage the matter; rather than potentially deterring them with undue criticism or indifference over something as trivial as a poor musical performance.

I mean, I don't plan to suck with it, and that's all that really matters to me. 8)

We gotta speak up, people. Novation has welcomed this discussion... Now, go make a comment and be heard. Let them know there's a demand for MPE. Do it.

Cheers!

I also got the “we are listening” answer from their support team. Looking for we to see what happens.

John the Savage wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:15 am Well, be that as it may, I think it's in our best interest to show as much interest as possible in this development, and encourage the matter; rather than potentially deterring them with undue criticism or indifference over something as trivial as a poor musical performance.

I mean, I don't plan to suck with it, and that's all that really matters to me. 8)

We gotta speak up, people. Novation has welcomed this discussion... Now, go make a comment and be heard. Let them know there's a demand for MPE. Do it.

Cheers!
I wouldn’t dispute the demand, or question the possibility that we have a real opening for MPE support in a product that’s popular and sold around the world. I just wish they had taken a little more care in presenting the idea to a wider audience. It’s very difficult to take this Brave New World seriously if your first exposure to it sounds so non-compelling...

Many guitarists got their start by hearing Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page, and many synth players got interested in playing thanks to Rick Wakeman or Vangelis. I’m not sure how many were inspired to start by hearing the kid next door banging away badly and thinking, “Wow, I bet that would sound awesome if I learned to do it properly.”
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

I emailed them again yesterday. Relatedly, I was at an event with a Peak and quite liked the sound. I wish it has two filters but you can’t have everything. Poly aftertouch seems to work but of course no poly pitch bend and no way for me to test poly Y axis modulation.

mrspiral wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:21 pm
John the Savage wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:15 am Well, be that as it may, I think it's in our best interest to show as much interest as possible in this development, and encourage the matter; rather than potentially deterring them with undue criticism or indifference over something as trivial as a poor musical performance.

Cheers!
I wouldn’t dispute the demand, or question the possibility that we have a real opening for MPE support in a product that’s popular and sold around the world. I just wish they had taken a little more care in presenting the idea to a wider audience. It’s very difficult to take this Brave New World seriously if your first exposure to it sounds so non-compelling...

Many guitarists got their start by hearing Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page, and many synth players got interested in playing thanks to Rick Wakeman or Vangelis. I’m not sure how many were inspired to start by hearing the kid next door banging away badly and thinking, “Wow, I bet that would sound awesome if I learned to do it properly.”
I completely agree with you 100%. I just didn't want the conversation to get off on a negative tangent and end up focused on the wrong point. Not that that ever happens on the Internet (wink).

Cheers!

jsterne wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:57 pm I emailed them again yesterday. Relatedly, I was at an event with a Peak and quite liked the sound. I wish it has two filters but you can’t have everything. Poly aftertouch seems to work but of course no poly pitch bend and no way for me to test poly Y axis modulation.
Ya, there's no poly-Y-axis as far as I'm aware. At any rate, here's hoping they just do it. I mean, Novation is one of those players - if they add MPE to the Peak, the rest of the hardware industry will follow, I almost guarantee it.

Cheers!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”