For those of you with an interest in using Linnstrument to control hardware

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tiantong wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:17 pm @mrspiral, how do you like the Skulpt?
"Fine," he said with a shrug.

It's small, light, reasonably well thought out (although I would have preferred a USB host connector in addition to the MIDI In and Out, which take up a ton of room and make it larger than it needs to be), and the sound has significant potential. The iOS and macOS integration of the editor (MODALapp) is really slick and makes it a bit easier to work with, so you don't have to memorize all of the control-alt-hold-up-three-fingers-and-spit key combinations to tweak buried parameters, of which there are many.

I was thinking of selling mine just because it wants a particular kind of working arrangement to be really comfortable -- it was designed to sit on a tabletop in front of you and be tweaked -- and it's just not a good fit for my studio. I've tried various places and hookup strategies, and none of them seems to make it approachable or fun, so my choices were (a) take it out of the studio and find someplace else to use it or (b) take it out of the studio and sell it.

With the possibility of MPE support, though, "someplace else" could be my portable live performance rig, which is MPE-heavy and for which I have wanted a reliable hardware synth for some time. If the SKULPT can eventually do that, even with only 4 voices of polyphony, that potentially saves me a ton of money on a purpose-bought MPE-friendly synth that wouldn't get a lot of use....
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Whenever I read about some hardware synths which would be MPE capable that GAS virus is slowly creaping up my neck and wants to infect me. My cure is my iPad mini. Fire up for example Synthmaster or a Moog and all I need is there, much lighter and easier to carry with much more options as well... Though it remains tempting, don't know why...; - )

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:09 pm Whenever I read about some hardware synths which would be MPE capable that GAS virus is slowly creaping up my neck and wants to infect me. My cure is my iPad mini. Fire up for example Synthmaster or a Moog and all I need is there, much lighter and easier to carry with much more options as well... Though it remains tempting, don't know why...; - )
I do most of my MPE work on iOS, but there's always been a temptation to have just one solid and easy-to-use piece of hardware for this kind of thing. I spent a fair bit of time today with the SKULPT and haven't made up my mind about keeping it or not; I need to do more with programming it using the MODALapp on my iPad, to see if...

...wait.

:o
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

mrspiral wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:58 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:09 pm Whenever I read about some hardware synths which would be MPE capable that GAS virus is slowly creaping up my neck and wants to infect me. My cure is my iPad mini. Fire up for example Synthmaster or a Moog and all I need is there, much lighter and easier to carry with much more options as well... Though it remains tempting, don't know why...; - )
I do most of my MPE work on iOS, but there's always been a temptation to have just one solid and easy-to-use piece of hardware for this kind of thing. I spent a fair bit of time today with the SKULPT and haven't made up my mind about keeping it or not; I need to do more with programming it using the MODALapp on my iPad, to see if...

...wait.

:o
I have more than I really need on my iPad actually but I'm looking for a hardware synth, just to be a bit away from the screen.

Besides, I don't like the sound of the Minimoog - sorry! (If only Zeeon had MPE)
Synthmaster One doesn't convince me and there is all that "buy these patches, register this or that".
I really love the sound of the Model D but it's too much patching (lazy!)
Animoog is my synth, always come back to it but no AUv3 is a bummer and needs some care taking
My hopes are in the Spectrum bundle which is going to have MPE support, some time

Hardware-like:
I was so close to order the Continuumini but I want knobs...
Micromonsta has poor connectivity (USB MIDI?, single output jacks?). When I asked the dev he told me "buy something else"
I could spend the money on a MicroFreak or even the Peak
I wish the FutureSonus Parva was finished
The @technobear at the polyexpression forum is convincing me to get a new Organelle with ORAC and MPE support. He's made a port of Mutable Instruments modules. Amazing work he is doing!

So for now I have nothing convincing to take to a dessert island (but I'm enjoying the journey nonetheless)

tiantong wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:28 pm Hardware-like:
I was so close to order the Continuumini but I want knobs...
Micromonsta has poor connectivity (USB MIDI?, single output jacks?). When I asked the dev he told me "buy something else"
I could spend the money on a MicroFreak or even the Peak
I wish the FutureSonus Parva was finished
The @technobear at the polyexpression forum is convincing me to get a new Organelle with ORAC and MPE support. He's made a port of Mutable Instruments modules. Amazing work he is doing!
Technobear is a genius, and he is offering some fabulous tools for that little beastie, but if I were to get an Organelle 2, I would be completely reliant on other people to create sounds... it's really a coder's machine, as far as I can tell, and I don't have that level of patience or skill.

The Peak adding MPE has a lot of people thrilled. The MicroFreak doesn't do MPE as far as I know, does it?

Technobear is a genius, and he is offering some fabulous tools for that little beastie, but if I were to get an Organelle 2, I would be completely reliant on other people to create sounds... it's really a coder's machine, as far as I can tell, and I don't have that level of patience or skill.

The Peak adding MPE has a lot of people thrilled. The MicroFreak doesn't do MPE as far as I know, does it?
I agree with that. Therefore I doubt.

No, the MicroFreaknhas not MPE although I’ve seen it written somewhere. It only has aftertouch which confuses a lot of people. As far as I know Arturia has no interest at all in MPE- I’ve asked a couple of times.

And I wouldn’t expect MPE for the Peak anytime soon.

The Organelle seems interesting, but it has a useless keyboard, and is more expensive and bigger than an iPad (mini). Only advantage are six pots, as the iPad is also capable of running Pd patches.
I can get an Akai LPD 8 with 8 pots and 8 pads for 30 €...
(or a x-touch mini with 8 rotaries...)

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:24 pm The Organelle seems interesting, but it has a useless keyboard, and is more expensive and bigger than an iPad (mini). Only advantage are six pots, as the iPad is also capable of running Pd patches.
How can you run pd patches on an iPad? This intrigues me!

There are a few apps I think, MobMuPlat is one.

You can't edit patches though as far as I know, while with the organelle you can connect up a monitor keyboard and mouse or Remote Desktop from another computer and edit away, live code etc.

If I wanted to mess around with PD the organelle is a pretty good choice.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:24 pm The Organelle seems interesting, but it has a useless keyboard, and is more expensive and bigger than an iPad (mini). Only advantage are six pots, as the iPad is also capable of running Pd patches.
You can run supercollider as well, jack, LADSPA plugins, really anything that works on Linux.

Interesting things really.

BobDog wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:18 pm
You can run supercollider as well, jack, LADSPA plugins, really anything that works on Linux.
The Technobear's ORAC framework runs on Organelle as well, and that's becoming popular for setting up big stacks of apps for live performance use.

Yep should have mentioned that as well.

mrspiral wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:24 pm
Its called MobMuPlat. You create the patches on your computer and there is a bunch of really ugly gui elements you can connect it to... But its restricted to vanilla Pd...

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 pm
mrspiral wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:24 pm
Its called MobMuPlat. You create the patches on your computer and there is a bunch of really ugly gui elements you can connect it to... But its restricted to vanilla Pd...
Interesting. Probably not for a nonhackertype like me, then. :)

If Pd is too complicated, then its not for you... Transfering Pd patches over to MobMuPlat is pretty straight forward though, designing a user interface as well...

Return to “Roger Linn Design”