Trouble with iPad Pro 9.7 First Gen and Lightning USB connection kit

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks. When I hook my Linnstrument to my iPad Pro 9.7" first gen using the Apple Lightning to USB 3 adapter the LS flashes. I've tried putting LS into low power mode, so far without success (i.e. the LS still flashes). I'm running the latest IOS version. Have others had this problem? Numerous reviews of the Apple dongle claim that it worked before IOS 10 but never afterward. Any light you can shed would be welcome. Thank you!

In my experience, if the battery level gets below ~60%, iPad is not able to provide enough juice for LS without external power. Make sure it's fully loaded.
Hold the Octave/Transpose button when connecting to iPad to boot into low power mode directly. I think there's also a certain order of connection which has to be kept.
Check Roger's instructions here:
http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/ls-hooking-it-up.html

Apple updated something that caused the same issue for me sometime last September - it used to work in low power mode, but doesn't work anymore. The only solution I've found that works is to use the splitter cable recommended by Roger on his site and plugging it into a battery pack. The power consumption is VERY low and it lasts a couple weeks for me normally.

Thanks to both of you. The battery pack with splitter works. The iPad, even fully charged, does not. Apple must have put a restriction on the current level they were willing to have iPads etc. sourcing through Lightning. Too bad--it would be a great portable setup without the battery. :?

Hello all

I've a similar problem in that I cant get the ls to trigger sound on the iPad, first generation, latest iOS, and I'm powering the las with an external power supply

I'm trying to run the alchemy app as that's the only sound synth app I own

I have just got my new linsstrument so I'm sure I haven't digested it all. Hopefully just a simple user error. Also my older iPad is on the old style 30 pin power cables.

Any assistance would be most appreciated

Ty

Rafe
macbook pro 2.4 c2duo, 4 g ram, 10.11.6/2x quad 2.8 xeon ghz 10.7.8 / 18g ram/cubase 6.53, 4.5.2, sx3.1.944, logic 8/ fface 800, mtp av,zebra 2.2/5,, NI komplete 8, waves v9 CLA classic compressers, SCC, yam fs1r, ex5, Linstrument

Hello All

Just checking hardware/ cabling configuration on my older iPad (1at gen iOS 9.3.5 - latest available for this unit). I have followed the steps i found online - specifically cable plug in order. And my linsstrument has an external power supply.

But I have worked around the specific camera adapter as one with the older 30 pin connections were not available off the shelf so i used the standard iPad power/ interface cable with a Usb coupler then into the supplied Usb cable from Roger Linn designs.

If anyone has any intel I would be grateful as I ave yet to get it to work with my Ipad

ty
macbook pro 2.4 c2duo, 4 g ram, 10.11.6/2x quad 2.8 xeon ghz 10.7.8 / 18g ram/cubase 6.53, 4.5.2, sx3.1.944, logic 8/ fface 800, mtp av,zebra 2.2/5,, NI komplete 8, waves v9 CLA classic compressers, SCC, yam fs1r, ex5, Linstrument

phidelity wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:43 pmBut I have worked around the specific camera adapter as one with the older 30 pin connections were not available off the shelf so i used the standard iPad power/ interface cable with a Usb coupler then into the supplied Usb cable from Roger Linn designs.

If anyone has any intel I would be grateful as I ave yet to get it to work with my Ipad

ty
USB coupler? If you are trying what I think you are trying then no, that will not work. But I am only guessing what USB coupler is.

Linnstrument needs to be connected to a USB host device. Camera connection kit is required to make ipad act as a usb host device. Standard 30 pin -> USB cable like one used for charging or connecting ipad to computer will make your ipad act as a USB device, not a USB host, so no good.

Not many other options that I can think of, you really need to find original 30 pin camera connection kit. Or something like original 30 pin ipad midi interface (eg original irig midi, or irig midi 2 with optional 30 pin cable) and then use midi din connection on Linnstrument instead of USB.

Camera connection kit is required to make ipad act as a usb host device
thanks - that confirms my intuition- to be honest I was unsure of how to search for that detail.

Thats great - because i can order a connection kit and not worry that there was something software related to my older iPad and bringing in that device would have just been a waste
Thanks again
rafe

Return to “Roger Linn Design”