Beginning Bitwig setup

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, all,

I've installed Bitwig and have LinnStrument set as a controller in it (apparently) so next I'd like to use the controller to play notes. Unlike on the iPad, where it's been easy to do with every synth I've selected, with Bitwig I don't know how to get it to associate sounds to pad-press events.

I have looked in the forum, here, and on YouTube, and other places but so far have found nothing to help me activate it like "a synth."

Where should I be looking so I can learn to understand how to set it up?

T

You have to put monitoring on (the little speaker icon) or arm record for that track. Try first the internal synths, they are playing naturally with the LinnStrument. If loading a MPE VST, you have to set the MPE button to make them play some also need to be set internally to MPE mode...

Hi Harms,

In the email I sent you when your unit was shipped, it contained both the Bitwig license and a link to a page on my site explaining how to open Bitwig and get sounds right away. If you've lost that email, here's the link again, which can also be accessed from the button "Bitwig 8-Track" on the LinnStrument Support page:

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/bitwig-8-track.html

Thank you for owning a LinnStrument.

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:28 am You have to put monitoring on (the little speaker icon) or arm record for that track. Try first the internal synths, they are playing naturally with the LinnStrument. If loading a MPE VST, you have to set the MPE button to make them play some also need to be set internally to MPE mode...
Seventeen days later, I still don't have so much as one note from Bitwig triggered by LinnStrument. I've been able to get up on-screen keyboard, and Bitwig plays sound when I click on those virtual keys. I can get (e.g.) LinnStrument MPE Voice 2 loaded in one of the horizontal areas. Next to it is a square with a circle which says, on hover, "Arm the track for recording". I presume that red means armed, but it makes no difference which mode it is in, I get no response from the controller.

I have searched the Bitwig window for a little speaker icon, aka monitoring switch. Still haven't found it.

That's my status update.

Try rebooting your computer. I found that even following Roger's instructions, Bitwig would not recognize the LS until I rebooted. It would be nice to know why (I don't)--but this often seems to solve connection problems.

What VST instrument do you have loaded into Bitwig?

Hi Harms,

I’m assuming you’re on Windows, so there could be a variety of cusses there. Have you tried using a different computer? I’d it works there, you could then trace down what is different between them.

Or in case you’ve accidentally set some settings incorrectly in LinnStrument and don’t know which ones, trying resetting all settings:

In Global Settings, Actions column, press Notes Off + Update OS at the same time.

Or, check the FAQ page, Problems tab for the FAQ “LinnStrument is not sending MIDI. What’s wrong?”

If LinnStrument is working fine with other synths and the problem is only Bitwig, then I’m afraid you’ll need to contact Bitwig for support. While I’m appreciative to Bitwig for providing 8-Track licenses to LinnStrument buyers, I’m afraid I’m not able to provide support behind the instructions on my site.

It sounds like the MPE button isn’t on. This stumped me at first. You have to click on the instrument track on the far left, then click on the left vertical border of the Bitwig instrument box on the bottom and the MPE button should come up on the upper left.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”