One note out of 4 not giving sound

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got the Linnstrument tuned in major thirds. When I play 4 notes sharing two rows, the fourth won't sound. Please see attached picture:

Root color is blue, E and Ab are green. Lights are vertically aligned. Rest of the notes have no light. Lacking lights must be the picture.

The picture shows a Cmaj7 chord only as an example, it is actually how I discovered the problem. Whenever I play 4 notes in two rows (red square) only three sound. It doesn't have to be the rows marked in the picture and it doesn't have to be those intervals. C, E + C#, F could also be the case.

I am quite happy with this layout and I would like to keep things this way so I haven't tested with other layouts. Is this a bug or something I'm doing wrong?

I hope you understand my explanation. English is not my first (nor second) language.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi tiantong,

I am sorry to report that this is a fundamental electrical limitation of LinnStrument's sensing method. Without this limitation, LinnStrument would have to be much more expensive and lose some of its other advantages. This limitation is stated on the Specifications page, as well as on the FAQ page/Pre-Sales Questions/FAQ #1:

Q: What are the limitations of LinnStrument's sensor technology?
A: 1) Only one touch is permitted within each note pad.
2) If 3 note pads are pressed that are 3 corners of a rectangle, presses to a note pad that is the 4th corner of that rectangle will be ignored.
3) No more than 3 note pads are permitted in the same vertical column. Pressing a 4th note pad in the same column will be ignored.
4) Y-axis (forward-backward) movement is limited to the 17 mm vertical dimension of each note pad. Sliding your finger vertically across rows will result in a new note when the touch enters the adjacent row's note pad.
5) Maximum simultaneous touches: about 50.
6) Minimum distance between any 2 touches: 5 mm, but the 2 touches must be in 2 adjacent note pads.

Given that LinnStrument's string-oriented note layout provides many alternate locations for each pitch, it is generally not a big limitation because you can finger any chord in many ways. However, I'm sorry if you did not see this before you purchased.

Hi Roger

Thank you for answering. I had actually read the limitations but only remembered nr 3.

It doesn't matter, I'm still enjoying the Linnstrument. I wish I was a better player to publish some videos but I'm afraid I won't be of help if I did :wink:
Given that LinnStrument's string-oriented note layout provides many alternate locations for each pitch, it is generally not a big limitation because you can finger any chord in many ways.
Exactly, and that's how I found out about the limitation. I was trying new ways of making chords and, as I'm still finding new ways, it won't be a problem to make these chords with other fingerings.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”