Audio modeling SWAM strings: playing expressively

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm curious what other linnstrument players have found to work best for expressive playing with audio modeling's SWAM strings. The default linnstrument settings have the Y-axis set to vibrato rate for CC1. Normally for vibrato with the linnstrument I just wiggle my finger along the X axis, using pitch controls, but the Y-axis vibrato does sound pretty great with SWAM. It's also easier physically.

What I dislike about setting Y-axis to vibrato is I then have to play swam strings one way in order to get vibrato and other instruments another way. For muscle memory purposes, it's definitely better to not have a different way of playing vibrato when switching from one instrument to the next.

Another great thing about using the x axis for vibrato, is it frees up the Y axis for something else. SWAM gives you lots of options for other stuff to map the Y axis to.

What do you use for your SWAM strings settings?

SWAM’s Default LinnStrument settings set Y-axis to CC74, not CC1.

I can’t imagine any good reason to use the SWAM instruments and LinnStrument other than that described on the Recommended Sounds page:

1) In the SWAM instrument, click Reset then “Default LinnStrument”
2) In LinnStrument, set MIDI Mode = One Channel, Bend Range = 12, Loudness/Z = Channel Pressure, Timbre/Y = CC74.

In particular, using Y-axis to control LFO vibrato seems that it would make LinnStrument sound like a MIDI keyboard, so I would not recommend it.

If you’d like some tips on how to emulate different acoustic instrument gestures on LinnStrument, here’s a video I made that might be useful:

https://youtu.be/imwt_YvpcrY

I was considering it the default, for I typically leave my Y set to CC74 on the linnstrument. But I see what you're saying.

I've been playing around with the linnstrument Y axis on CC1 (vibrato), and I actually like the sound. And like I said before, it's actually easier physically to do vibrato this way. Not that vibrato is terribly hard wiggling your finger on the X axis, but it is easier none the less.

Having said that, I also like the way it sounds with the linnstrument Y on CC74, and using X for vibrato. IMO they are both good, but in different ways. I haven't decided which way I like better.

I will probably go with CC74, just for muscle memory purposes when switching to other instruments, but for me it's a hard decision.

I agree that it takes practice to learn expressive gestures, but it seems that’s the main reason to play a LinnStrument. Otherwise it’s a little like putting a Mod Wheel on a violin. :)

Roger_Linn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:36 am I agree that it takes practice to learn expressive gestures, but it seems that’s the main reason to play a LinnStrument. Otherwise it’s a little like putting a Mod Wheel on a violin. :)
Even if I somehow went crazy and lost all my love for the expressiveness, I would probably then consider the excellent choices of note layout to be a remaining substantial reason to play the Linnstrument.

Controversial alert :) I have changed from the default settings to play SWAM strings and winds. I map the low row to XYZ=16-18 and use CC17 to control growl or bow position. C18 (pressure on the low row) I use for expression instead of CC1. No matter how hard I tried, I could not figure out how to get the smoothness of legato from the default setup. I've put it down to my wind-roots, and my fingers just don't have the sensitivity (maybe not yet...) that a guitarist/keyboardist might!

I've kept the main keys mapping X and Y to pitch and CC74, mapping the y-axis to various other elements in the instruments without really settling on one (but they all add additional expressiveness).

Finally, I've also started using the split mode with the left split 5 columns wide and set to CC1-8 controllers, and mapping those to various things in the strings, such as bowing/pizzicato, harmonics, bow pressure, etc. My left hand can poke at the low-row and my little finger can adjust the various CCs.

I'm still pondering getting a breath controller for expression, and then my left hand can focus there...

If you are more comfortable with wind control, it seems that a wind controller would be much better for controlling wind than using the low row with your other hand.

If you do wish to develop better finger pressure control, Jeremy Cubert's sax videos are a very good example, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF4vvMB ... ex=26&t=0s

Thanks Roger - yes, watching Jeremy's videos is what continues to make me persevere with training my touch ability!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”