my two cents on the origin story

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jsterne wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:44 pm ... PS — On the practice part, I’ll also add that one area where I have failed utterly is to reproduce Geert’s demo of using just aftertouch to produce a synth envelope with my hands and nothing else on an analog synth. Would love to, but it just doesn’t work with current hardware and my current hands. This is one thing about the LS specs: it’s easy to get hung up on MPE or using the Y axis or whatever, but I think the most important part of the Linnstrument is its totality. Technical (and here I mean engineering, not musical) virtuosity can be a distraction from making music. I have had great fun with it and monosynths, and also using it in situations where MPE isn’t possible or musically necessary.
OMG ... such a nice article mate. ...Yeah switches are good on modular (I would argue with that too) But any owner of LI would say that switch controlled sound making device does not fly with any LI related conversation.

I came from a guitar world and tried and played well ANY possible guitar techniques to alter the timbre/decay/feedback and harmonics of a clean or distorted guitar sound. Of course I didn’t use the "hand drill" like EVH,... that is his signature.. and I’m not "speedy gonzales” either. The LI was the best option for me to get my expressiveness back to a an dull device called synth engine. So a huge mod matrix on synth is an important feature for me. I’m finding many things that I would make tweakable on LI b/c MOST of the synths have limited MM (mod matrix) capability. Bottom line I’m in quest of best expression between my fingers and sound making electric machine (synth??)

I would like to have 3 layers for the Z and Y and perhaps some AI to help LI find out what to send to a synth. Give it a few years somebody will do this. We’re in an infant stage of utilizing our fingers to control sound making machine compared to classical instruments... not including the human voice that is the ultimate controlled sound device :)

BTW/PS
#1 I had some envelope following success by mapping the “Z” to the sustain of the AMP envelope. The synth has to support this by ability to change the sustain level while ADSR is in progress.

#2. I will never hook LI to any computer. I Don’t use computer with music sorry DAW people... bin-dere-done-dat for too many years. I might pick mu dusty Push2 if get fed-up with the LI but that is not likely to happen.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”