bluetooth headphones are bad

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This was previously a post complaining about animoog’s slow speed. It was wrong. The real lesson is: Never use bluetooth to output sound when playing. There is an intolerable delay.

Yep, and Apple has omitted the headphones jack on all their latest devices too... Useless, pedestrian crap.

Cheers!

Fortunately you can buy a nice little hub adapter that has USB-A and an audio jack and a few other things. Somehow bluetooth audio is fine for watching movies, but for playing software synthesizers it's unacceptable.

Yes, each time I want to play through my SB Roar, I have to switch off BT, as my iPad would find it and connect and does not priorizise the cable I attach as well...
But when I just want to listen to music or videos its very convenient, they even manage to keep the video and audio in sync...

On a related note, I have a couple of Apple HomePod speakers in my living room. When I use them wirelessly for the output of my mac while playing LinnStrument, the latency is about 2 seconds. I understand the need to delay the audio stream in order to avoid clicks and pops due to network clogging, but it would be nice to also have a "Musician Mode", that lowers the latency with the understanding that your home network might not work well with it. Apple does tend to feel that it knows better. :)

mbsq wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:22 pm Fortunately you can buy a nice little hub adapter that has USB-A and an audio jack and a few other things. Somehow bluetooth audio is fine for watching movies, but for playing software synthesizers it's unacceptable.
Ha, ya, more flimsy, disposable peripherals is just what the world needs. But hey, thanks be to f_ck that my iPad is a half-millimeter thinner and a fraction of an ounce lighter. You can always go buy a case for it, since it's so fragile and impossible to hold on to, and a pocket full of dongles to lose. We'll gain access to those basic functionalities one way or another, come hell or high water, right (wink)? Ahem!

Cheers!

Some day, I hope it is soon, we'll look at Bluetooth devices and will have the same feeling as when we think of our ancestors making fire with two stones.

tiantong wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:16 am Some day, I hope it is soon, we'll look at Bluetooth devices and will have the same feeling as when we think of our ancestors making fire with two stones.
But is there a better method for wireless audio? It's not good for music performance but pretty good for other purposes.

It all depends what bluetooth audio you are using.

Bluetooth 5 with AptX has less than 2ms latency, perfectly useable.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

mbsq wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:28 pm
tiantong wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:16 am Some day, I hope it is soon, we'll look at Bluetooth devices and will have the same feeling as when we think of our ancestors making fire with two stones.
But is there a better method for wireless audio? It's not good for music performance but pretty good for other purposes.
I'd say it's convenient but I have experienced drop-offs, problems with sharing a Bluetooth device... I don't know, I think it can be better.

BobDog wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:13 pm It all depends what bluetooth audio you are using.

Bluetooth 5 with AptX has less than 2ms latency, perfectly useable.
Could you list any devices which support that? An example setup?

Isn‘t aptx just the codec? That does not tell much about latency and a combination of two devices has to garantie it... It seams though, that the latency is somehow communicated or you could not sync video and audio...
I never read a test where latency is even mentioned. The big market just does not care...

AptX is a bluetooth streaming codec, so as well as encoding/decoding it also deals with data transfer, combined with Bluetooth 4.2/5 which has larger packets so has less packet overhead this enables lower latency than 4.0 and 4.1.

Even bluetooth 4.1 can run at under 20ms, just because implementations add latency doesn't mean it is the underlying technology that is at fault.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”