Tap tempo behaviour question + latch vs hold

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While I'm here: tap tempo works great, except, I'm trying to get it to "talk" with other things. It'll send tempo if I'm running the arpeggiator or sequencer but not otherwise. Is this the expected behaviour? Is there a setting to change?

Also, am I right that the only difference between "latch" and "hold" is the release behaviour? IE, with hold, when you stop holding, it stops playing, but with "latch" it won't stop until you press again to "unlatch."

Actually, my wish is for something in-between, like the "hold" on Ableton's arpeggiator. Turn on hold, play notes; it holds them after lifting my fingers. Until I play other notes. Then it holds those notes. I can get close with latch, but for arpeggiating and knob twiddling this would be ideal.

TIA.

jsterne wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:07 pm While I'm here: tap tempo works great, except, I'm trying to get it to "talk" with other things. It'll send tempo if I'm running the arpeggiator or sequencer but not otherwise. Is this the expected behaviour? Is there a setting to change?
When LinnStrument is receiving MIDI Clock from an external source, the Arpeggiator and Step Sequencer follow this external tempo, position and start/stop actions.

When LinnStrument is not receiving MIDI Clock from an external source, the Arpeggiator and Step Sequencer use the internal tempo and also MIDI Clock is sent from LinnStrument, and MIDI Start and Stop are sent when the Step Sequencer is manually started and stopped.
jsterne wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:07 pm Also, am I right that the only difference between "latch" and "hold" is the release behaviour? IE, with hold, when you stop holding, it stops playing, but with "latch" it won't stop until you press again to "unlatch."

Actually, my wish is for something in-between, like the "hold" on Ableton's arpeggiator. Turn on hold, play notes; it holds them after lifting my fingers. Until I play other notes. Then it holds those notes. I can get close with latch, but for arpeggiating and knob twiddling this would be ideal.
When you say "hold", I will assume you mean "sustain" as in the normal function of a keyboard sustain pedal. If so, then Hold, Sustain and all other options for the Panel/Foot Switches are described in the Panel Settings page > Global Settings tab > "Assign Foot/Panel Switches" section.
The function you describe in Ableton Live is accomplished by LinnStrument's Legato switch assignment, not the Latch assignment.

Thanks Roger. Will take a look at the settings again.

On the tempo, just to be clear: Linnstrument ONLY sends tempo when it is running the arpeggiator or step sequencer. Otherwise, it will not send either?

Sorry, my error. When LinnStrument is not receiving external MIDI Clock, it will send MIDI Clock only when the Step Sequencer is playing, but not also when using the Arpeggiator. The reason it does not send sync while using the Arpeggiator is that tempo alone does not provide sync. Rather, sync is provided by both tempo and position. In the case of the Arpeggiator, sending position would require sending a new MIDI Start command each time you press the playing surface and a MIDI Stop command every time you release the playing surface, which would not be very useful. Instead, the intended method to sync the Arpeggiator to an external sequencer is for the external sequencer to serve as sync/tempo master and for LinnStrument to act as sync/tempo slave.

Okay, so it sounds like if I really want to tap tempo for a delay (for instance), I shouldn't be doing that "through" the Linnstrument, but through another source. If I then set up Linnstrument to receive MIDI clock from its host, it will be in time with the delay when I turn on the arpeggiator.

Yes, that makes sense. For Delay, position sync is not necessary as it is for Sequencer or Arpeggiator sync.

Manual --> Global Settings --> Assign Foot/Panel Switches:

Hidden settings: Extra switch assignments.

j) CLK: Start/Stop sending MIDI Clock from LinnStrument.
Is this what you're looking for, jsterne? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what that means. This was actually a feature that I requested; though I've yet to use it, because the shows I'm currently touring with require that my rig be synced to an external clock. However, clocking LFO's and delays from the LinnStrument directly, without needing to engage the sequencer, was the very reason why I asked for this feature, so hopefully it does what I think it does.

Cheers!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”