3rd note in column not triggering

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello :)

Really enjoying the LinnStrument! But I just came across a case where I cannot trigger a 3rd note in a column more than once, when playing a certain chord. Please consider the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/foz2l9k9g44k1 ... 3.mov?dl=0

It doesn't seem to be one of the limitations in the FAQ: I'm only playing 2-3 notes per column, and no 4 corners of a rectangle. In the video, note that it only happens for that one particular chord, and not for a different one. I'm on firmware 2.2.1, if I'm missing something obvious here please just let me know :help:

Have you tried resetting the LinnStrument?

RESET: Press UPDATE OS and NOTES OFF together to reset all settings in LinnStrument (except Calibration) to factory status.
Duality without regard to physicality

I tried, but it stays the same after a reset.

Hi declassified,

I just tested it here and was able to reproduce it. For me, it occurs when the held notes are pressed with high pressure but not when pressed with low pressure. So it's an edge-case software bug that we missed, for which I apologize. I'll let Geert know about it and hopefully we'll have a solution soon. Until then, I'm afraid the only solution is to voice the same chord on different rows and columns.

Hi Roger, thank you for looking into it.

Good to hear it's a software thing, and not a limitation of the hardware itself. I can confirm that it works correctly here if all fingers press very lightly.

Okay, so...

I ran into this bug myself tonight. For the record, it does not seem to be related to pressure, Roger, as previously suspected. I was also able to reproduce it using a completely different fingering and row spacing than the example given by the OP, so I thought I'd take the time to make some further deductions, in an effort to narrow it down a little more. Let's see if I can word this correctly:

At its minimum, the bug happens when you have any two notes depressed, in two different columns simultaneously, wherein at least one note from each column shares the same row. The bug then affects the 5th touch, if (and only if) that touch happens to be the 3rd note in either column: i.e. that 5th touch will sound only once, after which the note cannot be struck again. And, once the bug has occurred, you'll notice that none of the other held notes can be retriggered either, until the total number of touches in either of the columns as been reduced to a single touch.

Man, I really hope that makes sense (smirk). Anyway...

Cheers!

Thanks for the detective work, John. You’re excellent at narrowing down bugs and that’s very helpful.

My pleasure. Always glad to help. Thanks, Roger.

Cheers!

Hi John, thank you for confirming and narrowing it down more :)

I've found some more recently.

Case 1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lg1mjgnhf7rf8 ... e.mov?dl=0

(@ Roger: This is the one I sent via e-mail)

Here the glide in the right hand sometimes doesn't happen (0:15), or it glides just a semitone when it should glide a whole tone (0:19).

The problem seems to be that:
If 3 notes are held that are 3 corners of a rectangle and one of them is slid left/right, the pitch bend amount of the slide will sometimes be wrong.
Case 2:
The left hand alone: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6ssh8uxtod23 ... y.mov?dl=0
The right hand alone: https://www.dropbox.com/s/32jfozib77cwl ... y.mov?dl=0
Both hands together: https://www.dropbox.com/s/angi6i4ut1jjb ... t.mov?dl=0

Here there are no 3 corners of a rectangle, actually just one note per column. The right hand's pinky glides from F down to Eb. When the right hand plays alone, it works smoothly. With both hands together, the glide often gets interrupted, e.g. triggering E as a new note. Though the E is not the 3rd corner of a rectangle, and the only note in its column.
If I omit the left hand's pinky, it seems to work fine.

Case 3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdfr7625ogknd ... t.mov?dl=0

Here it seems that gliding the right hand leaves the B note stuck; note the magenta light between my right hand's thumb and index finger. But I suppose this is probably the "3 corners of a rectangle" problem already mentioned: With what the left hand is playing, the right hand only has to play one note in those rows to become the 3rd corner of a rectangle.

---

I come across these while just playing around and improvised playing. These are the ones I could reproduce more than once, to record a video.

Hi D,

With regards to your first video, I perform incremental slides like that on my LinnStrument all the time, without issue; and I just tested it again to be sure... No problems. So, I hesitate to speculate as to what might be causing that one. Could be the synth, could be MIDI related, or it’s possible that your LinnStrument might simply need to be calibrated. I don’t know.

In the second set of videos you provided; honestly, it’s not entirely clear to me what’s going on there... Sorry.

I was, however, able to faithfully reproduce the anomaly presented in your third example. It seems to be the result of sliding either to or through what would otherwise be the fourth corner of the ill-fated “rectangle”.

Cheers!

Hi declassified,

Thank you for creating those videos. Unfortunately I’m out of town this week so it’s difficult to verify the problems but I’ll try to test them as soon as I can.

However, it’s also a little difficult to see what is happening from your videos because the angles don’t show the note lights so well and in some cases I can’t see all notes played. But from initial viewing, it seems that the problem might be occurring only when played very softly. Does that make sense?

Also, do you happen to have any pressure-based sounds in which the note lasts as long as you press? That would make it easier to understand what’s happening. But I do appreciate what you’ve done so far with these videos.

For the clarity of others reading this, declassified is using Roli’s term “glide” to mean “horizontal pitch slides”.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”