Moog One

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

c0nsilience wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:13 pm Unfortunately, that's the price we pay for analog. Not that I would be able to acquire one in the foreseeable future, but this thread has already made me reconsider my initial infatuation with the Moog One.

Seriously, for half the cost, you can pick up a LinnStrument, a Mac Pro (cylinder) with decent RAM and a ton of super-powerful plugins that a room full of traditional hardware couldn't touch. Sure, it won't say 'Moog' on it, but it will have your own creative pedigree.

Ok, I'm done drinking the kool-aid!
The Moog One is for sure a real analog. You feel that right away. The sound quality was mixed for me. On the one hand, it has a diverse and solid sound. It does some amazing EP's and one of the plucked sounds when I first played it I thought it was a sampled guitar! On the other it is kinda tame. It is not a synth where you are going to push things into wild territory. The filters are a bit on the bland side. The Osc's are very diverse for analog. Each Osc can combine Saw/Tri (which itself can be morphed) with a Square wave that can be PWM. One thing I was a bit disappointed about is the Osc FM and Filter FM ignores the Square wave part. I really like the sound of PWM'ed Square FM'ing the filter or other Osc. There is no feedback circuit either. The modulation is insane for an analog synth (for any synth really).

Take away the fans, and it was almost the perfect analog synth... but the sound just didn't quite do it for me. And for $8K it's gotta be love at first listen!

I suspect that the differences between analog and virtual analog synthesis has more to do with brand psychology than acoustics. This study (and a prior study mentioned in the article) in a peer-reviewed journal underscores the difficulty violinists had distinguishing Stradivari violins from a quality, modern violin. I would love to see this study conducted with synthesizers, guitars, guitar amps, pianos etc. The results would be very revealing.

https://www.pnas.org/content/114/21/5395
Jeremy Cubert
Piano | Chapman Stick | LinnStrument | Zendrum
http://jeremycubert.com

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:57 pm
jsterne wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 pmJohn the Savage has inspired me to maybe try out my iPad with the Linnstrument, though. Something with a touchscreen might be a good compromise, though I've had bad luck in the past adjusting touchscreens in the heat of actual performance.
The problem with the iPad (touchscreens in general) is that there is no tactile feedback. So it requires lots of visual attention. You cannot just grab a knob without looking. And if you look to see the knob is grabbed on the screen, you have to keep looking because you don't know for sure it is moving without watching... and once it is moving, you can lose it without realizing it.

With a hardware synth, I can be playing the keys without looking... or watching the keys I can reach up and tweak the cutoff without having to look. Etc.

So I think touchscreens are poor for performance. Give me physical controls please.
Whoa! As long as we're clear that I only use an iPad, albeit to great effect, out of necessity at this point in time. As I previously stated in this thread, I vastly prefer the knobs and faders of hardware (wink).

And to the person who thought the knobs on the Moog One were fine... We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. I personally think they're way too light (especially the main data knob), and they feel like they're made from recycled plastic (though I suppose that would be noble). And for the record, the keyboard tech at the local Long & McQuade here said that the knobs have proven the most common complaint from prospective buyers.

Again... Ten grand!

Cheers!

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:52 pm
jsterne wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 pmAfter all that frustration, I plug into my expert sleepers FH-2, wire up a patch with my modular, and everything just works and I'm making music. I have my wife come over and play with the weird bell/piano patch I just made. We have fun.
and of course you just purchased the FH-2 and your modular and immediately knew what to do without any learning period.
Actually, yes, if we are talking from when I started buying modules.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:50 pm
jsterne wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 pmAaaaaand bam. Nothing. Bitwig doesn't recognize it.

So I can't just MIDI map to the CCs my controller puts out like in every other piece of software.
yeah, you can now...
I would love to be wrong. Please enlighten me, or give me a page number in the manual.

jsterne wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:06 am
pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:50 pm
jsterne wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 pmAaaaaand bam. Nothing. Bitwig doesn't recognize it.

So I can't just MIDI map to the CCs my controller puts out like in every other piece of software.
yeah, you can now...
I would love to be wrong. Please enlighten me, or give me a page number in the manual.
Actually, what I suggest you use is Moss's Flexi script.

Tried that. It'll work but take hours vs. minutes with standard MIDI learn. Jurgen is amazing but also human.

Generic device is faster but doesn't send MIDI out feedback to the interface so you get a jump in values when you load a set and touch a knob. I may still do it in the end, but this is exactly the kind of gotcha I was talking about in my post. I'm sure the Bitwig designers had their reasons--the program is otherwise very well though out, but it doesn't change my original point about software. As it gets more complex, there are more variables and compatibilities to worry about.

jsterne wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:31 pm Tried that. It'll work but take hours vs. minutes with standard MIDI learn. Jurgen is amazing but also human.

Generic device is faster but doesn't send MIDI out feedback to the interface so you get a jump in values when you load a set and touch a knob. I may still do it in the end, but this is exactly the kind of gotcha I was talking about in my post. I'm sure the Bitwig designers had their reasons--the program is otherwise very well though out, but it doesn't change my original point about software. As it gets more complex, there are more variables and compatibilities to worry about.
Use Flexi, do it once and you are done... and share it with others.

I agree with you, software is complex and can be frustrating in how much head space it can take up.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”