Here's where the LinnStrument falls short...

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

John the Savage wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:33 am
dr_loop wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:12 am
Hence why I also think we should be able to customize the lights to represent "fret" markers (wink, wink) ... Anything to make it seem more familiar!
..well, just do it! All it needs is a bunch of MIDI-messages. Not really rocket science.
Yes, duly noted, but I'm not using a computer in my live rig, so I would need the LinnStrument to retain the custom lights, which it cannot do currently. Roger knows what I'm talking about, and has taken this request under advisement. Now, whether or not it's likely to become reality is anyone's guess, but it's not the end of the world either way.
Actually another advantage of the tritone tuning. You do get a sort of frets, all c notes are vertical alligned... You can‘t get lost... And you get out of the guitar mind which is a good thing. If I want to play in bass guitar mind, I take my bass and not the LinnStrument...

I appreciate the suggestion, but I prefer the guitar tuning. As a guitar player, I'm not really interested in learning a new tuning scheme, when I'm already proficient at another, which also serves to keep me in the guitar mindset. Besides which, this is contradictory to the point I was attempting to make. I think more focus could be put on selling the LinnStrument to string players, simply by showing how easy it can be, for anyone already familiar with the geography of the fretboard, to make the transition. That's all.

Now, of course, I realize that the LinnStrument is its own instrument: i.e. new, forward-thinking, highly configurable, and possibly the better design; but that is beside the point. In my opinion, the Seaboard sells because it looks like a keyboard; but in contrast, many of my colleagues are pleasantly surprised when they find out that the LinnStrument is basically a fretboard, or can be configured as one if they so choose.

Let's face it, there are a lot of geeks out there (bless their hearts) that are using the LinnStrument in obscure ways, and that's great; but I think it does sometimes mislead prospective buyers. Hell, it nearly deterred me, and now I love the thing (wink).

Cheers!

It's just as easy for people to get dissuaded by more subdued/restraomed performances I honestly don't think anyone would buy a linnstrument because they saw my performance of "Ten little Indians"
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I've had this thought for a while that what I really need is a LinnStrument companion - a small box with an Arduino board, battery pack, small touch screen that would power the LinnStrument and be able to send MIDI to configure the LS in ways that aren't practical on the instrument itself. Shouldn't be terribly expensive to build. Just a matter of finding time to write the code.

I agree the form factor of the Seaboard makes it immediately more familiar to keyboard players. It also comes with its own synth which is immediately usable without having to make presets.

But the biggest seller of Seaboards is Marco Parisi. The guy is amazing. NAMM 2017 he sat with the Seaboard on his lap and enthralled an audience with an impressive single handed rendition of Purple Rain (using a looper). I'm sure the Seaboards were flying out the door.

Yes, Marco Parisi is an exceptional musician:
https://youtu.be/mjN1gdYLrXU

You know that is so depressing to watch someone play so well.

I find it inspiring because we don't have to every worry about plateauing out. :wink:
Duality without regard to physicality

Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:27 pm Yes, Marco Parisi is an exceptional musician:
https://youtu.be/mjN1gdYLrXU
I hate to bring it up again but, what layout is that? The straight lines with diagonals looks very curious.

UnWorldly wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:28 am I hate to bring it up again but, what layout is that? The straight lines with diagonals looks very curious.
That's the standard 4ths tuning. The diagonals are alternating B and F in ascending tritones. The verticals are various segments of ascending 4ths B-E-A-D-G-C-F.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”