is it me ? non MPE mode experience with Y-timbre and "channel pressure" settings

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do I make the CC changes that Linnstrument sends with X and Z in one channel mode smooth ?
Is there setting I miss ? is this a synth issue ?

Let me describe.. The first the "channel pressure” issue:
1. Set the aftertouch on your synth to control some sensitive destination: Drive/Cutoff/Amp Sensitivity(volume)
2. Make sure that you have loudness set to "channel pressure” on Linnstrument.
3. Press one pad harder so it generates aftertouch CC=100
4. Press other pad fast but gentle so the Aftertouch CC generated is less than 20
5. You'd notice that Linnstrument generates “JUMP” that when used modulating sensitive targets:
drive/cutoff, Amp Envelope level generate clicks (Blofeld/Skulpt)
I know these are cheap synths and perhaps more expensive ones do some sort of smoothing of CC values
but why the Linnstrument couldn’t “smooth” this transition of abrupt CC changes.

The same applies to timbre “Y” setting ... even in relative mode the audible click(s) would be there.
Here is how to replicate
1. Set the MIDI CC that is generated by Y (Timbre) to control some sensitive destination on your synth.
2. Make sure that you have Timbre/Y set to relative (generating value 64 by default)
3. hold one pad and move your finger up so it does generate Y=110 value (high value)
4. press another pad fast but gently
5. The “Y" value now is 64 (middle) but the jump from 100->64 is audible and causes clicks in a few cases.

If nobody suggest a workaround, here is the proposed solution:
When the second pressed pad reaches close to the value of the CC that the other held pad(s) generated then that pad becomes the source of the new CC values. (this concept is called “catch" or follow when used with control knobs on DSP synths.)

Somehow I think, that before I upgraded to 2.2.1 I wouldn’t be noticing this issue so perhaps there is setting that was implemented to do “smooth” Y, and Z in non MPE applications.

I know Blofeld can use the poly-pressure source ... yes that helps with the “Z” issue but not many synths have this settings. Also the “Y” is mapped to mod-wheel most of the time. So when the synth patch has some crazy mod setup made... Say volume change from 1-127 (full range) then this behavior is very audible.

So What you think ?
All th Best Funktree

Hi funktree,

It seems that you have LinnStrument set to MPE (Channel Per Note) mode but you are using a One Channel synth. In other words, LinnStrument is sending independent continuous X, Y or Z for each touch, but your One Channel synth is mixing them all together, causing it to jump between the values for different touches.

The solution is to do one of the following:

1) If your synth is a One Channel synth, set LinnStrument as follows:
MIDI Mode = One Channel
Timbre/Y = CC74
Loudness/Z = Channel Pressure (or Poly Pressure if your synth accepts MIDI Polyphonic Pressure messages).
Bend range = same as your synth

2) If your synth is an MPE synth, in which each voice receives from a separate MIDI channel, then set LinnStrument as follows:
MIDI Mode = Channel Per Note (hold this button to automatically set the below settings.)
Timbre/Y = CC74
Loudness/Z = Channel Pressure
Bend range = same as your synth

FYI, when LinnStrument is placed in One Channel mode, it automatically prevents "jumping" conflicts such as those you mentioned. This is explained on the LinnStrument's Smart MIDI page, accessed from the LinnStrument Support page:

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/midi-details.html

I hope this is helpful to you, and I thank you for owning a LinnStrument.

Roger,

Thanks A LOT !
The smart midi page helps - I didn’t pay attention to that link just yet:) Also my settings were exactly as you described. I’m very familiar with the MPE. I have Medusa/ROLI-Blocks/Push2/LaunchPad pro(no x,y there) and I see this behavior mostly with Blofeld. Which is buggy also I’m using 10+ mod slots to make blofeld/skulpt(only 8 slots) really express what comes out from Linnstrumment. The more I play the more I see that these synths are NOT too much tested in 8+ mod slot scenarios. But If I want to get a good lead guitar sound out of an east coast synth engine I need at minimal these mod connections:

Velocity:
-> Filter Attack/decay (negative) the higher velocity the faster attack
-> Filter Envelope
-> Filter Cutoff

Aftertouch (Z):
-> Filter Resonance
-> Amp level or cutoff so when I press pad gently I get some low attack

ModWheel (Y) (Some more some less)
-> Cutoff (negative)
-> Oscillator detune (in two oscillator setup)
-> LFO to Pitch

Keytrack:
-> Filter cut off

I bring up here one of my mod scenarios b/c My goal with this instrument is to bring as much expressiveness as possible from ANY East-cost synth engine.
Linntsrumment has one of the BEST Z implementation out there. Very linear and accurate. Although I would need logarithmic/exponential curve for Y and Z from time to time.

I like Logic’s ES2, which has 10 modulation paths with source/attenuator/destination, in addition to all the normal hardwired modulations. Though I guess you’d have to call it North Coast, given that it was developed on the north coast of Germany. :)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”