Help: Linnstrument not working.

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I plug my linnstrument in via usb the computer recognizes that there is a device and yet... None of the lights appear and it doesn't transmit notes.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Did you try another computer? How about a different usb cable (generally any USB printer cable/scanner/audio interface/full size keyboard cable will be the same) Did it work before or did you get the Linnstrument recently?

Usually Roger_Linn answers all questions via this forum and the standard contact form/number, but I understand he's on vacation at this moment.

Yes, Different USB ports (usb 2, 3) different computers, different usb cables, also tried to get it running via the 9 volt power adaptor.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

If nothing happens when you push the settings buttons on the left, it's best you wait for support to answer.
Did it work before? Did you buy it recently second hand?

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay-- I'm currently on vacation in Germany. I think you're saying that suddenly, your LinnStrument entered a state where no lights turn on and it doesn't send MIDI, correct? Does the computer show it as a device called "LinnStrument Serial"? If so, then I've sometimes seen this condition result from LinnStrument receiving poor power for an extended period of time--perhaps from an insufficient USB hub or other poor source--often following occasional flashing lights due to the power repeatedly dipping below required levels. Eventually this can result in the condition you're seeing. In all cases so far, the fix is to reload the current software version. Does this help? Given that this is more of a specific support issue, please respond to me at the normal support address.

Thanks Roger,
Will follow your directions asap.

Thanks much

Somehow my linnstrument also ended up in a state where the system report mentioned 'linnstrument SERIAL'.
Re-flashing the firmware did the trick, and now it is back to 'Linnstrument MIDI', and it works again.

Hi marlasky-- if your LinnStrument appeared to be working, lights are correct and buttons work, but no MIDI output and computer shows "LinnStrument Serial", that means that "Update OS" in Global Settings was accidentally turned on. In future, the fix is merely to turn off "Update OS".

Roger_Linn wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:46 pm Hi marlasky-- if your LinnStrument appeared to be working, lights are correct and buttons work, but no MIDI output and computer shows "LinnStrument Serial", that means that "Update OS" in Global Settings was accidentally turned on. In future, the fix is merely to turn off "Update OS".
This just fixed my issue too. Thank you sir and google search. My cat probably walked on it just the right way. I was getting paranoid about having a $1500 brick.

Also, there's a good FAQ on the LinnStrument FAQ page. Under the Problems tab, it is "LinnStrument is not sending MIDI. What's wrong?"

Return to “Roger Linn Design”