[solved] 4th row from the bottom has horizontal deadzones on the rights side of the instrument.

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I must specify I've lost my factory calibration for Global Settings>Actions>Calibrate a long time ago, soon after buying the linnstrument, so I used the calibration method mentioned in the official video.
On the deadzone-free side however the pitch bend values seem to be offset, centre is a whole 30 cents off. I sort of lived with the pitch offset, but I don't remember there being dead-zones.

Re-calibrating with different pressure values does... something.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by pone on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi pone,

I’m a little confused about your description, for example what you mean by “deadzone” and whether Quantize is on or what bend range is selected when you say pressing the center is 30 cents off. Please write me at the normal support address and we’ll figure it out.

Hello Roger,

Sorry for not making it clear. I can contact you via email instead if that would be better, but to make it clear for any others as well,

It seems my bad manual calibration is the fault. I've tried calibrating it a few times and I've fixed one of the problems.

I no longer have the dead-zone - a region where the linnstrument does not output any midi data.

But now there's another offset of the X axis center (pitchbend), on a different row, row 5. Unreasonably bigger comparatively to other rows.

So now I wanted to ask what is the calibration method in the factory, so I may imitate it as much as possible.

Thank you.

Hi pone,

Either the forum or direct support is fine. The forum is mainly for owner discussions, while direct email/phone/video support is faster for unit-specific problems because it avoids long threads that apply only to your LinnStrument and not to others' unit. But if you prefer the forum, please give your name and the unit's serial number so I can look up the age and any email or support history on that unit.

Factory calibration is exactly the same as the Calibration procedure in Global Settings, as demonstrated in the example video linked to from that function of the Panel Settings page / Global Settings tab.

Have you ever removed the top panel? If so, your stated problem may be due to incorrect tightness of the panel screws, which not only secure the top panel but also press the touch sensor's contacts against the circuit board's contacts below it. If you have removed and reattached the top panel in past, here's how to correct the screw tightness so they are neither too loose or tight, both of which could cause a problem:

Loosen the screw, then while pressing with one hand on the top panel near the screw, turn the screwdriver clockwise with your other hand until the screw head is level with the top panel and you start to feel the increased resistance of the screw being fully seated in the hole. Then tighten an additional 1/4 turn only and no more.

If you prefer to solve the problem quicker than lots of back-and-forth forum posts, you're welcome to call me at the support number. If you do, please call today because I leave for vacation tomorrow, though I'll be in email contact after that, returning on January 3rd.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”