SpaceCraft Granular now with MPE support and more updates to come

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We talked in another thread how difficult it is for some developers to implement MPE, how they wait until there is "enough request".

I've been having a dialog with Mark Watt, the developer of SpaceCraft Granular and he is very enthusiastic about MPE, pushing updates related to this as well as "advertising" MPE.

SpaceCraft Granular has been really well received by iOS musicians and many consider it one of the best music apps of 2018.

https://www.deltavaudio.com/

Just wanted to share this with you

I love Spacecraft Granular! Thank You for sharing 😌🙏

Thanks, tiantong, for letting us know about this. I've just added Spacecraft to the Recommended Sounds page.

For any developers looking to add MPE capability to their synths, I have a page on my site explaining how best to do it. From the LinnStrument Support page, click the button "Developers: how to add MPE".

Thanks tiantong and thanks Roger for adding SpaceCraft to the list. I should mention that the current app store version implementation of MPE is just an intermediate state. Currebtly it does not map the glide to pitchbend as is typical for mpe (instead it maps glide to grain position modulation which is wonderfully expressive).

However, i have already implemented the more standard MPE alternative mode in SpaceCraft where glide controls pitch bend in the usual way. This is about to enter beta and should be available on the app store by the end of the month.

Once this is done i will then be in a better position to advertise the MPE capability a bit more (and include some MPE factory presets). This new "MPE standard" configuration will become the new default MPE mode in SC.

Roger and Deltavaudio, nice to see you both here. I was looking forward to this "meeting".
Flyby audio, you are welcome. It took me a while to discover SpaceCraft; now I'm looking forward to how it develops and how it plays with the Linnstrument.

Thanks for the info, deltaV. Does it do polyphonic Y and Z? And can Z be mapped to note loudness is some way, and Y be mapped to note timbre in some way?

Yes, x, y and z are each 16 note polyphonic. Z is already mapped to loudness, X is mapped to either pitchbend (currently in beta!) or grain position modulation depending on the mode.

Y is currently unmapped but I have some ideas. For example, when X is pitch (the new mode I'm implementing), y can then be mapped to grain position with can control timbre depending on how the sample varies locally around the nominal position.

Sounds good! The standard MPE implementation is X=pitch, Y=timbre and Z=loudness, however each preset defines those. Regarding Y, I'll bet you've got a variety of interesting timbral parameters it can modulate.

FYI, there's a page on my site that might be helpful to you called "Developers: how to add MPE":

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/linnstru ... pport.html

Return to “Roger Linn Design”