Wholetone/Balanced/Uniform Tuning Mod

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I spent some time this weekend working on a mod for the firmware to add a new wholetone scale based tuning to the Linnstrument. It's an idea that goes back to Janko pianos and accordions and stuff, and there are some sites like http://balanced-keyboard.com/ which have more info about it.

The idea is that rather than having the rows made up of chromatic notes, each row is a wholetone scale, with the rows acting in pairs to make up the entire octave like:

Code: Select all

C# | D# | F  | G  | A  | B  | C#
 C  | D  | E  | F# | G# | A# | C
Advantages are:
  • Potentially making chords easier to play in a more horizontal fashion (sort of like a piano I guess)
  • Giving the instrument a larger range (68 notes on my 128)
  • It's kind of interesting to play about with
Disadavantages are
  • It's no longer isomorphic, so instead of one version of every fingering like standard linnstrument tunings, there ends up being two versions of pretty much every fingering depending on whether you start on the C row or the C# row
  • Inconsistent offsets between rows can be confusing
  • You can't do slides for 50% of intervals - you can only slide intervals which are made up of wholetones like a major third
  • You need to set the pitchbend range of your synth to double the linnstrument's bend range for the bends to come out right, and sometimes the bends sound weird
I've got a boring demo video recorded at a staggeringly low resolution here:
https://youtu.be/ij68O6SA9ws

And the github repo is here:
https://github.com/joffb/linnstrument-firmware

DISCLAIMER: If you test this out it's at your own risk because I'm not Geert Bevin or Roger Linn, I'm just some random person on the internet. The nature of the changes might mean you end up screwing up your settings, for example.

I’m interested in this but have no time to look at the GitHub yet:). I like in your post part that says “using more pads” in the split mode. Yes, that is my aim too. I’ve tried different things :
a) flip the hand that play chord
b) turn the Linnstrumment on table to be in slightly angled position
c) different row offset

In order to have real feasibility of a janko type layout you would need to offset the rows as is common with whole tone row type instrument.

I had seriously considered a Chromatone for that reason. However shipping prices dissuaded me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zffJPN6LPXg
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

So here are my thoughts on the Chromatone and Whole Tone Revolution.
First.... The company is out of business as far as I can tell.
Second only the out of stock WTR has aftertouch and it's limited to mono.
You may be able to get a chromatone from stock leftovers.

On the plus side you only have to learn one form once. Learn the C major scale in one "form" and it transposes everywhere. Learn a C major chord and that easily transposes everywhere. On the other hand the linnstrument has three basic forms for everything. Once you get them under your fingers it's easy transpose to other keys / chords. Some forms are less ideal than others if you want to emulate traditional keyboard playing. That's okay you have options. You also have more options if you apply interdependent fingerings as is common from those who come from a tapping/touch approach as many stick and guitar players have including yours truly. I's not to say you can't experiment on your own and develop your own approaches.

Personally I love the standard 4ths tuning layout though I do transpose so that the lowest note available is C.

My sight reading is not what it should be. Though the years I've relied on glancing, and my ear to guide me. Recently I've been looking at piano tutoring software to build my chops on the linnstrument and sharpen my reading skills. While I do have some conventional keyboard skills they have been in a dormant state for sometime. It's not that I want to get better on thy keyboard it's that I want to get better on the linnstrument. Rather than try and re invent the linnstrument I'm taking it at face value and working through piano lessons. It's been... interesting taking as a ground up approach and applying the basics.
Last edited by tapper mike on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Early on, I considered an alternate hex key LinnStrument, which would have a similar grid but with alternate rows shifted over by 1/2 column, then squished down to form hexagons, as shown in the attached picture.

My thinking is that the rows would still be chromatic in order to permit chromatic pitch slides (hence the hexagons oriented with the flats on the sides instead of top/bottom), so the row offset would be 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, etc. However you could tune the rows as whole tones for Janko play.

Ultimately it's too expensive to produce for the limited demand because it requires changing everything in the LinnStrument-- sensor, touch surface, both circuit boards.

The Musix Pro iPad app is good for experimenting with hex layouts. And perhaps a hex-key overlay could be made for either the Joué or Sensel Morph.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Not knocking the Jankó Keyboard and whole-tone scales approach or anything, but I'm thankful that you didn't adopt this design, Roger. I personally think that it's a visualization nightmare: i.e. it's way too easy to lose sight of your position on the playing surface for the lack of vertical lines, especially if you're a live performer. Hell, I keep most of the lights off on my LinnStrument as is, for this very reason. It's fine, I suppose, if you're a shoe-gazer, but if you have an audience or other band members to address, relative darkness, and spinning stage lights... Yeesh!

Cheers!
Last edited by John the Savage on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeesh indeed! That said, advocates of hex or Janko keyboards tout their ergonomic advantages, saying it better fits the fact that your hands approach the keyboard from an angle. But I'd say a grid does that also, for example I form chords on LinnStrument with my fingers at an angle. Regardless, I find the subject of note layout to be fascinating. LinnStrument's layout is my best shot at what people will be playing in 50 years.

I think there's a reason why the Jankó concept didn't catch on, whereas standard fretboard and keyboard designs have remained ubiquitous and widely preferred for hundreds of years now. That's not to say there isn't room for improvement, or that we shouldn't examine new concepts, but... I think you made a wise and forward-thinking choice. I, for one, would not be playing a LinnStrument if it were a hex layout instead of a linear grid.

Honestly, the only thing that's somewhat problematic, from my point of view anyway, is the fact that there's not quite enough ergonomic feedback to help with positioning. That is to say, when you hold a guitar in your hands, for instance, everything from the gauge of the strings to the thickness of the neck subliminally tell you where you are. The LinnStrument, on the other hand, is so symmetrical in every way, that it's easy to lose touch with the playing surface if you don't stay vigilant. But I don't know how you'd improve upon that beyond what you've already done with the Braille dots. That said, I've adapted to it, but I do have to rely less on muscle-memory and more and my eyes. Anyway...

Cheers!
Last edited by John the Savage on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Only history will tell if LinnStrument's layout will be celebrated by the Grammy award or the Darwin award. :)

My money is on the GRAMMY, you seem to have a knack for those (wink)!

I can definitely see the advantages of having the rows offset using the WT/Janko layout. It would make intervals more consistent because you could say "a perfect fifth is always 4.5 away" whereas with the grid layout it's either 4 away or 5 away, depending on which row you start on.
At the same time though, I think that the grid layout is a lot more straightforward - both in terms of the technology and navigating/learning where things are.

The only time I have a problem with the grid is it can be ergonomically awkward when notes are directly above eachother - playing a G7 in +6 tuning I put my ring finger directly on top of my little finger to play the B and F tritone and end up locking my hand into a weird claw.
You can use the top part of your finger to span two rows like you would playing a guitar - but it's not as comfortable as the guitar, possibly because of your wrist position? Would be interested to know what other people do to play those intervals

Hand Origami will always be with us.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”