LinnStrument with 30-pin iPad 2?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

latest firmware for LinnStrument
iPad 2
iOS 9.3.5 (latest version for that old model)
latest versions for all iPad software

I've tried with three or four different cables, with a powered hub and/or iConnectMIDI2+, using USB MIDI and DIN MIDI, lots of different combinations.

The only time the LinnStrument showed up as a MIDI device was with the iPad connected to USB port 1 of an iConnectMIDI2+ and the LinnStrument connected to MIDI In DIN 1 of the iConnectMIDI2+. MIDI Wrench saw data but Animoog and other soft synths did not respond.

Never got a reply to my email to Animoog.

Why did you start a new thread for this? You already touched on all of this in the other thread you started, just two weeks ago, wherein you failed to troubleshoot the matter in an organized fashion despite the better advice you received from several members of this community, including Roger Linn himself.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, your setup is needlessly convoluted; especially considering that you seem to be somewhat new to all of this. The bottom line is, hooking up the LinnStrument to an iPad is not a complicated process, yet it remains unclear to us how you have each device configured, therefore making it impossible for anyone to tell you where you're going wrong.

Cheers!

The other thread was specifically about trying to use the iConnectMIDI2+. This is a more general one about trying to get an iPad 2 working with a LinnStrument 128 in any way possible.

If my notes are confusing to you, I think that's because I've tried so many combinations, using either a powered USB hub or the iConnectMIDI2+ with various cables. The only configuration where I saw MIDI data in MIDI Wrench was the one I described above. One possibility is that that's a bug in iOS 9.3.5 (last supported for iPad 2). Googling iOS 9.3.5 "iPad 2" MIDI I find a lot of issues. I have an open issue with Moog about that.

I'll buy the USB Y cable Roger recommends and see if that works with the Apple 30-pin camera connector. I already tried a third-party camera connector, which did not work, but it's probably not be an exact clone of the Apple one.

for the amount of effort and various connectors you are trying, you could likely just buy a newer used iPad... midi works easily and more reliably these days than a few years ago.

I have a lot of cables, adapters, and accessories that would not work with a newer iPad.

If you saw the MIDI data arriving on the iPad with DIN+USB then this sounds like a software problem.Which data source did you select in Animoog? Which midi channel do you send data on, which channels does the app expect? Which settings do you use in iConnectMidi (e.g. if you filter out note on you won't hear anything :) )

There also seems to be a one-adapter solution from Yamaha (google for i-mx1) - but as said, it probably won't help if you already get midi from A to B and just some apps don't react. (editofedit: Ok, Linnstrument 128 has MIDI DIN, so the adapter might work - but probably won't solve the problem if it's software related)

As I said, I saw data in MIDI Wrench when the LinnStrument's MIDI out was connected to the iConnectMIDI2+'s DIN 1. That input showed up in Animoog's settings and I selected it, but it did not respond. I tried some other apps and none of them responded either.

I heard back from Moog, they don't have a 30-pin iPad to test. They have an iPad 4 running 9.3.5 and Animoog worked when they connected its Lightning connector directly to a LinnStrument 128's USB output. So maybe the recommended Y cable will work.

rlauriston wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:38 pm I have a lot of cables, adapters, and accessories that would not work with a newer iPad.
I sold all of my legacy stuff including 2 docks with a 30 pin Ipad 4 for pennies on the dollar and was happy to find someone that actually would buy it. The only constant of technology is change. Release yourself from this burden of sunk cost... wailing away on my LinnStrument 128 on 4 instances of modern synthesizers using mpe on an Ipad pro is uplifting. What are you waiting for?

Generally speaking I hate the iPad since it's a closed system more focused on digital rights management than on usability.

I see that the third generation models have USB-C. That makes them more attractive.

The new third-generation iPad Pros have USB-C, but iOS still doesn't handle external drives except to import and export photos and videos. Apple reportedly says third parties could write software to do that.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/5/1806 ... e-features

The Y cable finally showed up and with the Apple-brand camera connection kit USB adapter it did work.

I'm glad it took so long to be delivered since in the meantime I gave up and bought a 12.9" iPad Pro. The bigger screen makes a lot of software instruments easier to play, and it can run apps the old one can't, such as the MPE version of the iFretless apps.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”