Haken Continuumini

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

... adding bigger jack(s) ...

Could be possible, the actual thing is pretty small though and very light.

One thing to be aware of is the 8 note polyphony is a maximum, some patch’s I have tried max out at 3 notes and quite a few are 4/6 notes.
Last edited by BobDog on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Thanks so much for your field reports, and for figuring all this stuff out!
BobDog wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:34 amOne thing to be away of us the 8 note polyphony is a maximum, some patch’s I have tried max out at 3 notes and quite a few are 4/6 notes.
Is there some indication in the editor of the voice count, or do you just have to hold down notes until there aren't any more?

You can set the max voice count and there are a variety of stealing algorithms.

The voices are always running so if you set the voice count higher than the DSP power even one note playing will have dropouts. So basically you just set the voice count for the patch so that there are no dsp overloads.

A while ago I purchased the half-sized continuum. It is an amazing controller... so nuanced and expressive... but I am not entirely pleased with the sound quality of EaganMatrix. There is a digital (meaning not quite natural sounding) edge that is there in many of the presets. I like the sound of my VST synths better.

I'm gonna give it another try, but I suspect at this point EaganMatrix is just not gonna be that much used by me. Because of that I have to decide whether to keep the Continuum as a midi controller or sell it.

To me the EaganMatrix sounds absolutely amazing, I am enthralled by some of the sounds I am getting out of it.

It reminds me very much of my Pacarana/Kyma sound but a darn site easier to program!

Different strokes I guess but I would rather something like the EaganMatrix where everything is designed around expressive control than a plugin that takes 50% of an i7 to model 8 filters, even if its filters sound better.

I only played a Contuniuum once but the Linnstrument seems to have a major advantage to me when controlling the EaganMatrix where chords are much easier to play with Quantise on (quantise hold off).

Interestingly the EaganMatrix also shows how well Roger designed the Linnstrument, everything is totally smooth. The level of control is really quite amazing.

Thanks, bobdog. I’m afraid the credit for the smoothness of the algorithms goes to Geert.

Well we all also know how good Gert is but don't forget the hardware design and vision though ;)

Concerning a device to connect Linnstrument and a Continuumini I stumbled upon this page: https://www.segger.com/products/connect ... musb-host/
I am not sure if it is plug and play or if you have to write your own software to make it work. Maybe someone else with a better understanding is able to figure it out. It was built for many different scenarios but just scroll down to the part where they talk about Midi.

You not only have to write your own software, you also have to build your own hardware around it...

Yeah you are probably better with one of the Raspberry PIs with 4 USB ports and a 2.5A Power supply.

All the midi routing stuff you need is there in the operating system and it would power both the Linnstrument and the ContinuuMini.

Stumbled upon this video while doing a research on coming Continuumini. Really nice talk of Roger, Lipold, Edmund and others. Lipold seems to steal the show too often but it's still interesting to watch. Other videos from various ContinuuCons are great too if you want to know the 'family' better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsaOXrpTfiI

Lippold rightly should steal the show, given that he was the first to make what would be later called an MPE controller, and his design is still excellent today. Continuum was first released commercially in 1999, but he first described it in a technical paper in 1986. All other makers of expressive electronic instruments are standing on Lippold's shoulders. Brilliant guy.

Absolutely Roger, he's true pioneer ... like you are ;)

There's also this video of early Continuum prototype ... so ahead of it's time. (link doesn't seem to jump to right spot, just jump to 5:59 to see the proto)
https://youtu.be/W6fgZwucmHQ?t=359

That's marvelous. He's so young and presumably unaware of the impact his invention would have on the world of music. It's taken a long time, but his ideas are finally having a greater influence on music, with the help of followers like me, Roli and others. Music owes him a great deal.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”