Using Multiple Linnstruments

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, has anyone used 2 Linnstruments at the same time?

Any reason why that wouldn't work?

I have the Linnstrument 128. I chose that one because I was traveling at the time and it fit perfectly in my carry on bag. Now I would like the larger Linnstrument and so comes the question can I use them together.

I'm using Logic and Bitwig.

Thanks!

I'm interested in the answer to this as well.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Hi pdx,

Two LinnStruments work like two MIDI controllers of any kind. Over USB, they appear to the computer as two unique MIDI ports, each with its own 16 channels. So in your DAW you must select the desired input port and channels for the track. Unfortunately I don't think Logic permits you to select one of the connected ports but rather mixes them all together. And Logic also permits selecting all channels or one as the input to a track. Hopefully they'll improve this in a future update.

I'm not sure about Bitwig but it shouldn't be difficult to find out.

This scenario puts a spotlight on the need for MPE synths to have inherent MIDI channel filtering, like the Roli apps for example. So many synths, both hardware and software, can't be used side-by-side in MPE mode for this very reason. MicroMonsta comes to mind, all the Moog apps, etc. They each insist on hogging all 16 MIDI channels, despite the fact that they're only 4-8 voice synths. In this respect, it's actually better to use multi-timbral synths instead, because at least then the user can define specifically which MIDI channels are being listened to, but then patch editing becomes a pain in the arse. I find it frustrating enough that I can't even use both splits on my LinnStrument in MPE mode because of this, never mind using more than one LinnStrument (which would be awesome by the way). It even poses problems when using a single MPE synth alongside, say, a drum machine or any other MIDI device for that matter...

Cheers!

The channel filtering and also the way BW "limits" and controls the way we have to think about MPE and the fact that Logic has no understanding of midi devices is one of the reasons I'm still mostly doing like I did for years with midi guitar, Using Ableton with multiple midi tracks, each with their own midi channel and then routed to a track with the synth on.

It's a pain to setup but once you have you can get everything working as you want, the user has control not the DAW.

Neither Logic nor Bitwig distinguish the Midi ports (unfortunately). But as we have only two hands, its still not too much of a problem. The way I would do it: set one to master channel 1 and channels 2 to 8, the second to Master channel 16 and 9 to 15....
Another option which is especially helpful if you love Bitwig and the Apple synths, as I do:
Setup Mainstage to play the Apple synths with one LinnStrument, and Bitwig to the other. I have a simple spdif patch cable between my digital in and out of my interface, or you use some inter application communication like Jack, Soundflower or Dante. In Bitwig I dedicate an audio input to the signal from Mainstage...

Does MainStage support the idea of Midi Devices, or is it just the 16 channels like Logic?

I was pretty sure that is the case in Logic. But thought I would ask.

Bitwig distinguishes fine between midi devices.

I have no trouble playing Push 1 on one track while simultaneously playing Linnstrument on a second track. Simply select the specific input device instead of 'all'. So that is not an issue. Using two Linnstruments in Bitwig should not be a problem in that regard. The reason I asked specific to Bitwig is because I was wondering if using the Linnstrument script twice at the same time in Bitwig might somehow be a problem.

The auto matching might not work but manually adding and setting the midi device should work, I would hate to say for sure unless someone tested it though.

A simple test might be to add another linnstrument controller against another midi device and see if the one Linnstrument you have works?

I know the other way (having two controllers set up against a single Linnstrument) causes issues here.

In Bitwig, you can connect two LinnStruments and independently assign one or the other or both as the input to any track. However, BW doesn't seem to auto-recognize both at startup (perhaps because they have the same port name), so you must go into Settings > Controllers and add the second LinnStrument. Then both will show up as selectable track inputs but with the same name.

In Logic, all connected MIDI controllers are always mixed together. So the problem of connecting two LinnStruments is effectively the same as using one LinnStrument in split keyboard mode: assigning each split (or each LinnStrument) to send over different MIDI channels. However, this presents another problem with Logic: as the input to a track, you are permitted to select either all channels or any single channel 1-16. So when using Logic for split-keyboard LinnStrument use, I use one split in MPE (channel per note) mode and the other split in one-channel mode. To do this, you'll need to select the MPE track while also enabling the Record button ("R") on the one-channel track, and you'll need to go to File menu > Project Settings > Recording tab, then check "Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording". This is explained on the Recommended Sounds page in the section about Logic.

I think if you dive into the Logic environment, you can split them... Another way would be to create a scripter as channel split...

Good point, TJ. I should have mentioned that. I confess that I have an irrational fear of Logic's Environment or Scripter. :)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”